Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Commuter's Breakfast : Egg Squares to Go! page

FMN
    FMN is offline Senior Member

The Commuter's Breakfast : Egg Squares to Go!

My DH use to have a peanut butter sandwich and banana on his morning commute, but now he has this:

They are great because they will keep in the fridge for a week and can even be frozen. If you are still grabbing breakfast on the road (which I know most of you are not) it will save you a few bucks and probably a lot of carbs!

Here's the recipe, and a bit of nutrition and cost info:
    http://followingmynose.blogspot.com/...res-to-go.html

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I love your photos, they make it look REALLY tasty.

I am super jealous of how cheap your ground pork is, though. I think it's $2.99 per lb for the cheapest stuff I can find!
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

FMN
    Oh thanks mayness! What is funny about the pork is that at Kroger, which is typically the cheaper store here, it is closer to $2.00/lb but at Publix, where all the meat is typically much more expensive, the ground pork is cheaper. But they never have more than 2 or 3 packs out, and of course, I buy them all!

What about eggs...are they more expensive as well? I might need to add a note that the prices are based on what I pay in NW Georgia which will probably be cheaper on anything compared to NY prices!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    If you're getting traditional antibiotic-loaded, tiny-cage-raised eggs, your price is about right. (It's usually $2.50+ per dozen for good pastured eggs.) And I can actually get medium antibiotic-free local (but not certified organic) eggs for $1.20 a dozen, because apparently no one wants medium. Interestingly, cheese is about the same price, for the store brand stuff.

I also live kinda in the middle of nowhere (well, in a huge college town in the middle of nowhere) so my prices are probably less than some other places.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

FMN
    Oops...you reminded me that I intended to point out that the prices were for the cheap stuff, in order to make a comparison to what someone might be getting from a drive-through, but that it would be even better to use the higher quality ingredients. I use to buy the more expensive eggs at the grocery store until someone in that industry told me not to waste my money because they are all the same. Most of the time I am able to get eggs from a local farmer and we happily pay $4.00/dozen because I know what I am getting, but during the summer months it gets so hot that her flock doesn't lay much, and I have to resort to commercial eggs. $1.20 is a really good price for those medium eggs!

randooom is offline Junior Member
    Hmm looks nice! I'm going to make this tomorrow for next weeks breakfast.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

FMN
    Thanks Randooom! I hope you enjoy it!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I really like these! I think I need to get a square or rectangle baking pan because I make fritata stuff and hubs likes it, but I think squares would be much easier to eat on the run. Or muffin tins... hmmm.

But I do like how you separate them all out into servings that are quick to grab. Hubs and I were talking about this last night that we need more smaller tupperware for this purpose. So when we cook we can pack up, so that it's super easy.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    I make something vry similar in muffin tins and they work out great, I butter the heck out of them, and do not use paper liners.

For plastic containers I get some great buys on the Ziplock and Glad brand containers they have in the grocery store. Go online to coupons.com or other grocery coupon sites for ones that you can print out online, and then watch the grocery store ads and see who has them on sale. Last week I got a coupon for $1 off, and the store was running them for 2.19, AND the store coupon was DOUBLE your manufactured coupon, so I paid .19 cents for a package of 5 small containers!

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    FMN: Fantastic blog.....you deserve HUGE KUDOS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast