Thread: Smoked Meats OK? page

EagerOgre is offline Junior Member

Smoked Meats OK?

Not just meats but fish too... Are they best avoided? Thanks!

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    If they are loaded with preservatives and added nitrates/nitrites, I would say do your best to avoid them.

If they are cuts that you season and smoke naturally I would say they are just fine. I never feel guilty about eating some ribs, chicken, or brisket I've smoked with pecan, oak or hickory on my offset. And the best thing is you can use your own rub without any (lots) sugar.

I've done salmon over apple wood once. Amazing.

I want to try pork butt and a tri-tip on the smoker soon too.

Be sure to watch out for commercial brines...they normally contain questionable stuff.
    Last edited by Charlie Golf; 10-01-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Golf View Post
    If they are loaded with preservatives and added nitrates/nitrites, I would say do your best to avoid them.
    If they are cuts that you season and smoke naturally I would say they are just fine. I never feel guilty about eating some ribs, chicken, or brisket I've smoked with pecan, oak or hickory on my offset. And the best thing is you can use your own rub without any (lots) sugar.
    I've done salmon over apple wood once. Amazing.
    I want to try pork butt and a tri-tip on the smoker soon too.
    Be sure to watch out for commercial brines...they normally contain questionable stuff.
    Mark discusses this very question:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sodium-nitrite-meat/

Bottom Line = Avoid the Nitrates

Best to all,
    Grizz

kitana is offline Senior Member
    Commercial brines and rubs usually contain sugar as one of the first ingredients. And I questioned all the preservatives/nitrates even before I started conciously eating this way. Fortunately I have a co-worker with a smoker who will happy toss in a salmon, bird or whatever else I'd like. She also vacume seals them for me (we exchange favors). Smoked salmon, goose and duck are my absolute favorites - anything with oily, rich fatty layers will smoke up fantastically. W1n!

At this point if I move away from here, I will definitely be investing in a smoker. I have been completely ruined the stuff you buy in the store (tough, dry and greasy all the same time), and I have the added advantage of knowing exactly what's in it and can start off with quality meat. Vacume-sealed - most things I've had so far have a shelf life of 6 months or so.

Another route might be to find a place that does game processing. They'll often smoke and package for you, but the costs definitely add up.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I'm a smoking fool. I've been smoking my own meats for years. Make my own rubs, which isn't difficult at all. I don't think there's any thing more primal then smoking your own meat. Pork butts, pork ribs, beef ribs, beef brisket, fish, chicken wings, whole chickens, etc. I've owned both electric smokers and wood smokers. They both have their place. Webers bullet is the standard by which all other wood smokers are measured.
    Last edited by mikebike; 10-01-2010 at 01:21 PM.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    I'm a smoking fool. I've been smoking my own meats for years. Make my own rubs, which isn't difficult at all. I don't think there's any thing more primal then smoking your own meat. Pork butts, pork ribs, beef ribs, beef brisket, fish, chicken wings, whole chickens, etc. I've owned both electric smokers and wood smokers. They both have their place. Webers bullet is the standard by which all other wood smokers are measured.
    I also have a Weber bullet - marvellous thing! I love smoking chicken in it and beef is awesome. I plan to smoke duck on it this autumn.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, never smoked duck, might have to give that a go.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    parma ham is a good one as it is cured and slightly smoked with just the good ol' air!
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**