Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart rate page

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Question Heart rate

Shop Now
    If my resting heart rate in low, around 55 or so and when I exercise I don't feel like i am 'working hard' until it reaches over 160- which is well over my 'cardio zone', if I don't feel like i am working hard at say 155 does that count as 'move slowly'?

I am 33 so the machines, like the elliptical, 'yell' at me when my HR is over 155 or so, but when I do my HIIT I get my HR up to 185+ and feel like i am working, but not about to die.

I suppose I should do a step test? Or just not worry about it and stop if I feel ill?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Nutmeg,

IMO, You have an exceptional cardiovascualr system with such a low resting HR. I'm sure you also have VERY GOOD blood pressure readings, as a result. May I ask what your BP readings are like? Whatever you are doing, the results are phenomenal.

Best of health to all,
    Grizz

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Don't let those machines bully you!

I posted a blog about finding your target heart rate a few months back. Perhaps you'll find it helpful.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

My BP ranges from 90/50 to 115/70 or so. The only time it is higher is during pregnancy, where it has reached 139/80-something.
    *sad alert*
    Yeah, I told them I was having high BP and tey said it wasn't because it was not 140/90. But, the spots in my eyes and headache weer pretty bad. I guess that is another story thoguh...lol. If I do happen to have another pregnancy I will purchase a home unit that I can use myself because I sometimes wonder if my sonwould have lived if I had one, I had a massive headache about a week before we found he was stillborn. Even though my BP was fairly normal at my routine appts, that week I think it was elevated

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to a lot of meditation and free diving,my resting heart rate has been in mid 50's to mid 60's just about forever. Still I have hypertension. I have been told that my blood pressure could be normalized if I had a kidney removed. Not any kidney---the one that was beat and untreated for a while while in an exotic land at my government's request. That kidney is shaped like a heavy metal guitar. I enjoy people's reactions when they see MRIs or Xrays. I intend to keep it.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    If my resting heart rate in low, around 55 or so and when I exercise I don't feel like i am 'working hard' until it reaches over 160- which is well over my 'cardio zone', if I don't feel like i am working hard at say 155 does that count as 'move slowly'?

I am 33 so the machines, like the elliptical, 'yell' at me when my HR is over 155 or so, but when I do my HIIT I get my HR up to 185+ and feel like i am working, but not about to die.

I suppose I should do a step test? Or just not worry about it and stop if I feel ill?
    My resting heart rate is 48 yet my BP is always above 140 systolic (at docs surgery) i run up steep ,mile long hills and can't get my rate over 160.
    I believe your final line is about right,don't worry,be happy!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

RHR 55...?! You're fit, lass! Last time I measured mine it was 72! I have to say that I've been told that the monitors on gym equipment aren't that accurate (which was the reason I got a HRM - but it's a bugger to use, this one - how I miss my old Polar! NEVER buy SUUNTO, folks!)
    La tristesse durera toujours...

I use a Polar HRM, I had to have one when I was on teh fitness program. It conencts with the machines

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I use a Polar HRM, I had to have one when I was on teh fitness program. It conencts with the machines

I'm toying with the idea of saving up for another Polar - this SUUNTO does all sorts of funky things I don't understand (like the neverending timer which can only be stopped if you remove the sodding battery!). The manual also suffers from what I term 'Oriental VCR Manual Syndrome' - which helps no end, I don't think!

What's the model number of your Polar? The one I lost was an F11, IIRC (it was 'sugar pink' (I'd wanted a green one, but had to settle for the pink because it was a third cheaper!))

The reason I went for the SUUNTO was because it had all these add ons for various activities but, when it started being funky, I learnt that I'd have to call Finland!! Polar does, at least, have an office in the UK.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Do the machines display some kind exercise level? Power (in watts) would be best, speed is ok for running, for cycling it's not because cycling machines don't have a linear speed to power mapping.

If they do the easiest way to find the proper levels is this:
    -guess the highest setting you can do for 4 minutes
    -try doing it
    -adjust your guess based on your result
    -do your move slowly exercises at 50-70% of your adjusted 4 minute level

That way you don't have to find out your maximum heartrate (which is unreliable and painful) and you might count your 4 minute test as a sprint excersice (though without the muscle training of a tabata sprint).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast