Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do professional sports serve as an outlet for our primal sociological urges...? page

giovaneena is offline Junior Member

Do professional sports serve as an outlet for our primal sociological urges...?

Shop Now
    to unite with our own "clan" and rise up to crush opposing groups? During "pre-civilized" times, humans had to fight to preserve what little resources they had... so nowadays, in the time of convenience, to we NEED to "rally with our neighbors"

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Nope. But I'm sure it does for some.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Not a very good one. Local sports, that one can participate in do, though.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Not a very good one. Local sports, that one can participate in do, though.
    Good point. I do enjoy watching people I know or have connection to play. It builds a sense of community. But professional sports, nah.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I would actually say yes. Although not everyone necessarily has those urges, for those who have the competitive warrior's spirit they do, and they do provide a vicarious replacement to the real thing. Furthermore, fans of sports are can also participate in coalition psychology as I think they make a very compelling case for here http://www.epjournal.net/filestore/EP08432446.pdf

The mentality of the sports fans (and I'm assuming athletes since being an athlete is even more similar to battle) is what we would expect from those who are psychologically entrenched in the coalition psychology. Some of us have it and some don't, but we all have the potential. When I was young my entire life was playing basketball. Now I don't care much for athletics or competition and the closest I come is primal exercise. I would probably enjoy a basketball game, but it isn't a very powerful urge. Nor is fighting despite my tendency to stab.

Oh but I do like fantasy fiction with epic battles and similar movies, so that's saying something. It clearly isn't as powerful an emotional drive as actually fighting, but it seems to correspond nicely to my need. I don't really want to play sports or fight, but I like to watch.
    Last edited by Stabby; 10-01-2010 at 09:51 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

shemdogg is offline Senior Member

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I would be careful to equate a feeling of cooperation and belonging with herd mentality as Nietzsche put it. Herd mentality is when one stops thinking as an individual and defers to the common social dogmas with respect to their philosophy and beliefs. I agree that it can totally happen in sports, but it isn't necessarily the case. Many athletes demonstrate a conspicuous egoism.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure there is something primal about liking American football and having a team. I know I like the Jets and well, Nick Mangold causes me to have all kinds of primal urges.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    I think many people use pro-sports as a bad excuse to feel good about yourself when you didnt actually do anything "hell yea our team won ,we're awesome!!"

getting emotionally committed to something that has nothing to do with you is just silly
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Can't stand watching sports and I'm not a huge fan of watching fights. But I do love being involved in good game of ultimate frisbee, an intense sparring match, finishing a long hike, or killing my workout in the gym.

I find it's a lot easier and much more rewarding to get emotionally involved in my own (or my loved ones) accomplishments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast