Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flax Seed and Ezekiel Bread.... page

Dynamo is offline Member

Flax Seed and Ezekiel Bread....

Shop Now
    Hello!

I like to ingest flax seed for the fiber, Omega's and the lignans (sp) - plus other goodies. They are high in fiber, appear to have zero net carbs and zero sugars.

I used to take it with protein powder and a tablespoon of flax or other quality oil. I tend to mix things up and have been "off" this for a little bit but wanted to get back on.

Any thoughts on flax seed in regards to the PB way of eating? I normally eat lots of animal and veggie foods...which brings me to my next question....

Even though I am very "anti carb" in regards to grains of most types, I had noticed that since Ezekial bread is made from sprouted grain I don't experience any side affects like I do with normal "bread" of any sort. I read that our bodies more or less treat this as a veggie than a grain, due to the sprouted nature. I used to enjoy a slice or two, with coconut oil and/or almond butter. Felt good. Anyone else continue to have this in their Primal diet?

Thanks in advance!

xntrik is offline Member
    Sprouted grain bread is what I'd been eating when I was still fat and eating a predominantly starch-based diet. When I shifted to a paleo-ish diet and dropped the weight, my consumption dropped to two slices of toast per day. A few years later, I ditched wheat altogether. I regard sprouted wheat as a suboptimal food that has been rendered slightly less suboptimal by sprouting, and I think it's still best to avoid it.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Sprouting removes the Gluten, and therefore MUST be SAFER than normal breads. Right?

My favorite Doctor, William Davis says,"Despite the claims of lower glycemic index, we've had bad experiences with this product, with triggering of high blood sugars, small LDL, and triglycerides not much different from conventional bread."
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q=sprouted

THIS is the BEST authority I can find, and he says NO WAY to Ezekial Bread !

Best of Health to all,
    Grizz

xntrik is offline Member
    Some gluten sensitive people report being able to tolerate sprouted wheat, but that shouldn't be taken to mean that sprouted wheat is gluten free.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Sprouted isn't always gluten free, trust me they would advertise it since it's such a selling point today. On that note if you don't notice adverse symptoms and it makes you feel good, enjoy it!

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xntrik View Post
    I regard sprouted wheat as a suboptimal food that has been rendered slightly less suboptimal by sprouting, and I think it's still best to avoid it.
    Pretty much this....I bought a loaf because DH wanted bread and I figured I should at least try to mitigate his choice to consume it. I tried a piece but, to me, it's just not worth eating. Compared to "paleo" foods, sprouted bread is a big ol' FAIL in the taste department IMO.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Ezekiel bread is something that I really like the taste of, and for breads--it does have some health benefits. It also have some high omega 3's. Depending on what you are aiming for on the PB journey, this would be a healthy choice in the 20% off plan. For me personally, I am on this plan to first lose weight, and then become one HOT buff middle aged mama. So personally, I dont dare risk it.

But two things to consider. Eating starchy carbs can make your crave more, which can lead you to a down hill spiral.
    ALSO, the some people have food attachments, like warm toast...or peanut butter sammiches...that could lead to a slippery slope and cause you to go off plan. This is why finding 'substitutes' for things like pasta, bread, muffins etc can be very dangerous for some people. The substitutes are disappointing and just cause more of an issue, all phychological, but still an issue for some
    Just a couple things to think about

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Not that any bread is good, but I have read sourdough is preferable to sprouted breads if fermented a long time. Is that true?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Shannon,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    "I don’t advocate the consumption of bread, but if you’re going to treat yourself to any gluten grain-derived food, make real, long-fermented sourdough bread the one..... Real sourdough is a good choice for guests who simply must have their bread, but don’t think fermentation makes it Primal approved."
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fermented-foods-health/

Quote Originally Posted by Wicki
    "The yeast and bacteria in the culture will cause a wheat-based dough, whose gluten has been developed sufficiently to retain gas, to leaven or rise. Obtaining a satisfactory rise from sourdough, however, is more difficult than with packaged yeast, because the lactobacteria almost always outnumber the yeasts by a factor of between 100:1 and 1000:1, and the acidity of the bacteria inhibit the yeasts' gas production. The acidic conditions, along with the fact that the bacteria also produce enzymes which break down proteins, result in weaker gluten, and a denser finished product.[7]"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough
    Gluten Free Sourdough Bread Recipe:
    =======================

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/111...h-bread-recipe

Best to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-01-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Dynamo is offline Member
    I guess I should have separated my questions since everyone honed in on the Ezekial (sort of an after thought) and no one addressed the flax sees (primary question)

In any case, thanks for the replies!

....although I would appreciate Mark's or Grok's view on flax seed still....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast