Thread: What's wrong with whey protein powder? page

Jonah is offline Junior Member

What's wrong with whey protein powder?

Primal Fuel
    I was listening to this podcast:

http://robbwolf.com/2010/09/21/the-p...on-episode-46/

at robbwolf's site, and one of the question was from a 245 lb guy who was working out a lot and trying to get leaner. (starts around 52:00 in podcast). Both Robb and his cohost said that "to put down the protein powder if you're trying to lean out." I've never heard this before, and since protein powder has almost no carbs I can't think why this should be so. Can anyone explain what I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Jonah

mikeha is offline Junior Member
    I didn't listen to the podcast, but you don't want liquid calories when trying to lean out, it's not satiating.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    I've never used protein powders, but I'm a damned qualified cynic.

For one, whey is extremely (repeat) insulogenic. It ramps up insulin faster than the sugars in milk!

The other reason is that if you are eating a good Primal diet, you won't need it. As much as most Grok's and Grokettess disdained boxed and canned foods, they are psychologically addicted to protein powders. I don't get it.

I have recently drinking some buttermilk after either a very hard bike ride or a BBS workout. Seems to be as effective as expensive canned products. OK, the research is on milk and chocolate milk. I choose buttermilk because of the lower sugar content. And I like it, especially diluted 1:1 with water.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Also consider that protein powder is a processed food. Just eat real protein sources.

Not gonna lie though, I keep a tub of whey protein powder on-hand for the 1 or 2 nights a month I just can't muster up a dinner.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

shemdogg is offline Senior Member
    Its dairy and I don't eat dairy

Jonah is offline Junior Member
    Thank for the replies so far. I get the idea that whey is processed, and thus not in the spirit of primal eating.

However, to keep the thread focused, I specifically want to know the biology behind why it would prevent fatloss, if that is in fact true. OnTheBayou said, "For one, whey is extremely (repeat) insulogenic. It ramps up insulin faster than the sugars in milk!". This is interesting, and googling for more info on this I found

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/archiv...t-1155741.html

and

http://community.myprotein.com/advan...d-ketosis.html

Both these sources confirm that whey creates an insulin spike, but seem to say that eating pure whey (without sugar or carbs) will not impede fatloss:

"I should add, that in direct response to your question, any protein, including whey, should not affect ketosis much (except maybe positively) as it will always elicit a glucagon response that stimulates gluconeogenesis, which usually results in ketosis. It is merely the rather large initial insulin response, to whey in particular, that tends to cause existing blood sugar levels to drop more quickly than endogenous production can replace it, which results in the feeling of tiredness." (from the 2nd link)

Further clarification of what is going on here, and the fatloss effects of whey, would be helpful.