Thread: So how much fish oil do I need? page

Joshy is offline Senior Member

So how much fish oil do I need?

Shop Now
    The verdict seems to be that you need enough to balance your omega 6 and omega 3 intake. The problem is, I don't know which foods contain what amount of omega 6.

Each week, I eat maybe a pound of walnuts or almond butter, a whole chicken (split into 2-3 meals, including innards), 6-12 eggs, a pound or two of grass fed ground beef, a little cheese and quite a bit of raw milk. I use kerrigold butter, EV olive oil and coconut oil for cooking.

What's the approximate 3/6 ratio on that? How much fish oil do I need?

Thanks!

Xfitter is offline Member
    the folks at Whole 9 have a fish oil calculator. You'll need your fish oil supplements handy. After you calculate it, don't freak out, cause it's a lot! Take a typical weeks menu and do your homework online. subtract the amount that you are getting from diet and that's what you need. If you are eating grass fed animals and fish you are likely getting a good amount through diet.

http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/
    Gustofson on Health - " I eat bacon, a whole damn plate!"

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Hey mate, I wrote a blog post on calculating the omega6 and omega3 quantities using WolframAlpha. Check it out. Essentially you type in the food and the word omega 6 or omega 3 after it and it gives you the amount.
    It's a rough amount, but its a good baseline.

Essentially you want to keep your omega6mega3 ratio as close as you can to 1:1. Just having a quick look at the list of food, all the nuts are upping your omega6, so you would need quite a bit of fishoil to balance.

However if you can't be bothered going into that much detail. Just take 3-5g a day. Its a pretty rough average that seems to work for most people.

Joshy is offline Senior Member
    I plugged it in and it says a pound of walnuts has 156g of omega-6. That would mean I'd have to take like 20g a day to balance it, which can't be right.

Can anyone just give me a rough estimate based on the foods I posted?

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    A lb of walnuts a week is a decent bit to be eating. I don't think you really have to be 1:1 though. I've seen some people say 2:1 or 4:1 is definitely okay as well. Nuts will always up the O6s a lot, however.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    1 Walnut weighs about 4g and is about 65% Fat (or 2.6g Fat). From that 2.6g Fat about 55% is omega6 (or 1.43g). So a walnut is about 35% Omega 6.

If you eat 1lbs (~450g) of walnuts thats like eating 157.5g of Omega6 which is pretty close to what wolframalpha spat out.