Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Chinese Restaurant Advice page

Tawny is offline Senior Member

Help! Chinese Restaurant Advice

I know I can Google, but I also know there's a wealth of information right here that I won't have to sift through

My daughter has chosen to go to her favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner tonight. There is a long story behind why she has chosen Chinese and it starts with, "I'm the only one in my family who eats Primal, and I've only been serious about it for 3 weeks..."

Of course I will avoid the rice and breaded meats, go with a beef and veggie dish, and ask to have my meal prepared without MSG. Any other advice? Thanks!

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Try to find a dish without soy, but don't beat yourself up if you can't. Ask for extra veggies, most places will let you do that.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    Eat something before you go. consider it your 20%. Dont over eat, & avoid the sauces. My daughter gave up chinese & swithched her favorite to Japanese. I can navigate there much easier. I havent been in a chinese resaraunt in 4 years. No loss
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Stir-fry sauces are almost always made with corn starch or sugar. If the place is a good one, either ask for the sauce on the side or for 1/2 (or no) sauce.

And most stir fry is going to be done in peanut, sesame, canola or corn oils. So if you can avoid stir fry's that would probably be a good idea if you are concerned about O3:O6.

Most Chinese restaurants usually have a good steamed fish dish that is really good. That and some stir-fried veggies might be the way to go.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Ha-ha! Chinese restaurant? You're screwed, unless you can speak and read Chinese and ask for the special menu that Chinese people order from. Might as well just give in and eat whatever tickles your fancy.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Most of the Chinese places I've eaten at have "healthy selections," which is usually steamed veggies and a protein (which I guess is also steamed? not sure, but the chicken never seems like it's been fried in oil), and sauce on the side. So I would order something like that, and then try to only eat half the rice, ha! (ok so I reeeeeally love plain white rice).
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    Man! I have stopped going to Asian restaurants long time back. All those sauces and MSG messes me up. If I have to...I order beef with broccoli or chicken with broccoli. I remember going to Grand buffet restaurants and all I used to have there was Hibachi steaks and broccoli.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    It is perfectly easy to ask for your meat and veggies steamed (no nasty stir-fry oils then) and sauce on the side. I tend to get garlic sauce -- I'm sure there are lots of bad ingredients in that, but it's highly flavored and a few small dabs go a long way in making the dish tasty. I get Chinese takeout this way from the local joint once in a while when I'm too tired to cook or go out. If the takeout place can accommodate this easily, I've little doubt a "real" restaurant could do that or better.

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, all. I hadn't thought about the soy, the sauces, or the oils. Grumpy Caveman, I think you are right - I'm screwed!!
    I wish we could just go Japanese - sashimi is right up my alley. I will go with steamed veggies and meat, no sauce, no rice (I could take or leave that anyway). I want to save my 20% for my piece of dark chocolate tonight!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    We don't have any decent sit down Chinese restaurants here--just a bunch of take outs. But all the take outs have a 'healthy menu' of just steamed dishes. I usually get shrimp and broccoli, no sauce, no rice. Of course, when I get it home, I can saute it in a little EVOO and garlic, but in a restaurant, I'd eat it 'as is' or perhaps with a little hot sauce.

The Chinese sauces are awful for me--the MSG, cornstarch, sugar, etc., etc.

I think a sit down restaurant might accommodate you, since this is the trend in the take out places, and I'm sure they know of it.

The only reason I even get take out is that I have family members who love Chinese, and when they visit, they often ask for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast