Thread: Sprints page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

Sprints

Shop Now
    I'm enjoying doing sledgehammer training, and also some dumb/barbell work thrown in also. Feels very primal to me. While I sometimes do squats 1x a week (as opposed to 3x like I used to), this leaves a gap in the market for sprints.

I'm aiming to lose body fat, so I'm looking to take up sprint training more regularly, I really enjoy running (just got back) and love the feeling of sprinting , even my dog enjoys it!

I'm fairly fit, not to sound too big headed, but do you reccon it's worth doing 2 sprint sessions a week, or just stick with one, focused sprint session.

jasonph is offline Senior Member
    i think if you do them pretty spaced out, like one on a monday and one on thursday or friday.....why not? or, try it out, for a week or two. i think it could work.

AdrianBryant is offline Junior Member
    1 or 2 but I would start off with one session but...

this all depends on how far you are sprinting, are you sprinting all out for most of the sprints, (i hope you are!), and... Are you doing hill sprints (best in my opinion.

When I did it - I started off doing 10 sprints of 40-50 yards maybe 1-2 times a week (mostly once a week) but once I got to doing 2-4 sprints of 100-150 yards up hill then you ONLY need to do that once a week or once every 2 weeks (do it and you'll see what i mean) but yes...

I'll take sprints over 45-90 minute jogs, bike etc anyday
    I actually help people look good naked. Seriously, I do this for a living and have fun doing it! Don't believe me? See the people I've helped for free

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    You can do one or two if working on speed isn't a priority. Just don't do them on consecutive days. T-Th, T-Sa, W-Sa, W-F, you get the idea.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    You can do one or two if working on speed isn't a priority. Just don't do them on consecutive days. T-Th, T-Sa, W-Sa, W-F, you get the idea.
    If you ARE working on speed what do you recommend? One of my vague goals is to be faster, heh.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Two days of sprints per week is fine.

Yodiewan - Are you working on speed over long or short distances?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Al: I'm more interested in increasing my short distance speed. Lately I've just been doing once a week 8 sprints of ~20 seconds with 1:20 seconds rest between them. And 3 days of weight training (westside BB for skinny bastards).

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    That sounds like a good plan. If speed is priority #1 though, I would say drop the weights to 2 days and add another day of sprints.

But either way, you'll make gains in both if you keep it up.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com