Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Chayote Squash

Chayote Squash

Shop Now
    Can someone tell me about this, how to cook etc... i keep seeing it pop up random places. it looks like a green butt hahahah. the'low carb forums' seem to make mock apple stuff with it but i know it has to be usedfor more than that!

and it is really low in carbs for sqaush, good potassium, aminos, zinc so i need some options!

chop it roughly, cover in cream and chicken broth in a casserole dish. Top with cheese and bake until cheese is crispy gooey. Voila, squash au grautin. Has a sweet flavor to it, thanks to the chayote.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Do you need to peel it - or does the skin soften to an edible degree?

I'm pretty sure chayote and mirliton refer to the same thing. My stepmom makes ballin' stuffed mirlitons for Thanksgiving (shrimp, celery, I don't know what else). You could try just cutting them in half, scooping them out, stuffing and baking until soft.

Shop Now
    My mother in law peeled hers, I think the skins don't soften quickly enough.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal