Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCAA Supplementation page

yodiewan is online now Senior Member

BCAA Supplementation

Shop Now
    As some of you know (and are maybe tired of hearing), I typically follow the lean gains approach to eating and training (16/8 IF, higher carbs and lower fat on training days, higher fat and lower carb on rest days). Sometimes I don't feel like eating lunch and I think my performance is better most of the time when I don't eat pre-workout. Anyway, on to my question.

If you don't eat pre-workout Martin Berkhan recommends BCAAs a few minutes before working out. Has anyone supplemented with BCAAs and, if so, did you get superior results versus fasted training? How about compared with fed training? I'm debating whether to experiment with this myself, since even the cheap BCAA powders are kinda expensive (compared with real food). Thanks in advance for sharing experience and advice.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I haven't supplemented only with BCAA's, but instead have a scoop of whey isolate that has a lot of BCAA's just before I workout. I also am following a semi-leangains method.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Im in the same boat as john, but i remember Martin saying that to get as many bcaas from whey you need over 100 grams
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    They are expensive but they work a treat, especially if you are going with a Leangains type training schedule of IF'ing. Most WPI don't come close to the amount/type of BCAA's found in a good supplement (I take Xtend). Problem is I hate the taste.

I say give them a go. Otherwise, eat a lot of good quality meats and cottage cheese and get them from your food.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I dabbled.

I "fixed" the taste by combining BCAA with Raspberry flavored Glutamine, I read this article (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/inmag5.htm) and it stated that combining both had superior effects in losing body fat, plus Glutamine is supposed to help with recovery. I like the article because it opens up with eating real food THEN says supplementation.

I can't recall the brand of BCAA I got but it was from GNC, I was EXTREMELY disappointed at the amount of powder I got, it was literally 1/4th of the container. I know this also happens with whey powders and such but this was just ridiculous. I followed Leangains as well so I was taking 10g around 6:45, training for roughly 40 minutes (weighted bodyweight training... is that an oxymoron?) then 10g around 9-10am, and the last 10g around 12 or 1. Honestly, I forgot to take it IN TIME most of the time, but I doubt that would have radically change things. My first meal was usually at 1pm.

I wish I could tell you that I went up 20lbs in all lifts, or magically got a six pack but no such thing happened. Mostly because the stupid thing only lasted about a week and a half of 5 days a week. Perhaps my mistake was training everyday. I think if I were to go back to BCAA supplementation I would only take them 3x a week, or maybe a lower daily dosage and 30g only on strength training days.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Purple Wraath really helped when I was vegan. The beta-alanine still has a useful effect on that last max effort set...>:-)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Purple Wraath really helped when I was vegan. The beta-alanine still has a useful effect on that last max effort set...>:-)
    Martin from Leangains says it gives you a nice "tingle" but is it like drinking a lot of coffee or something? did it make you jittery?

Thanks for all the replies, experience, and advice. I orderd some Purple Wraath last night. I plan to take 10g pre-workout and then eat as soon as possible post-workout. I will try to remember to report back with my experience.

P.S. I did a few minutes of research, and the cheapest price I could find was from AllStarHealth in case anyone else is interested. I think it was $47 for a 90 serving (2.39lb) container. Anyone find it or a similar product for less?

Update:
    I've been using the Purple Wraath pre-workout and a few times post- when my post-workout meal was delayed. I haven't measured, but I think my body composition has shifted favorably. But with all the variables that go in to that, I can't say that it was the Wraath for sure. I did keep my workouts pretty much the same, so I think at least some of my success is attributable to the supplement. I may try eating lunch pre-workout for a couple months in place of the supplement and report back then.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Glad PW is working for you. I have switched to just beta-alanine capsules as I eventually found the taste of PW unpleasant. You also need to double dose it to get a decent amount of beta-alanine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast