Thread: Help! Ruined Soup! page

supersellen is offline Senior Member

Help! Ruined Soup!

Shop Now
    I made a Thai inspired Spinach and Coconut milk soup and goofed and added WAY too much salt and pretty much ruined the soup. Does anyone have any good ideas about what would taste good to add to make more soup and therefore cut the saltiness? Traditionally a potato works wonders in this regard, but that option off the table. Also, the soup is thin to begin with, so more liquids would not be a good idea...
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Add the potato, but don't eat it....the idea behind the potato is to suck up the salt. You don't HAVE to then eat it.

I've also read that you can oppose excess salt using sweetness and sour tastes. So up the sweetness (more coconut milk?) and up the sour (lime?)
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'd second the potato. If you can't eat the potato, try a turnip? It may work the same way. If you're dead opposed to tubers, zucchini might work. Just fish out and discard whatever veggie you use, it'll be a salt lick.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

It is a pureed soup, so silly me had it in my head that I would have to puree something, but adding in some chunks of potato would probably work fine. Thanks!
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    You could eat the potato. They don't bite, taste good, are filling and primal.
    "Live Free or Die"

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonbully View Post
    You could eat the potato. They don't bite, taste good, are filling and primal.
    I am not anti-potato and do have them occasionally, I just do not wish to have them as part of the nutritional make-up of this particular dish, but thanks!