Thread: Hello and Thank You page

Ryano is offline Junior Member

Hello and Thank You

Shop Now
    Hey everyone. I'm Ryan and I go by Ryano which coincidentally seems like a good nickname for going primal.

A Little About Me:
    I'm 24 and have been big since I was about 12 or so. I weigh right at 227lbs and according to my doctor I have high blood pressure and need to get down to my ideal weight. Supposedly that is 172lbs but I don't think that is right but I'm going to give it a shot. Ideally I just want six pack abs and to have the beach look.

My Journey:
    Right around middle school I blew up like a balloon. Turned a lot of it into muscle in high school when I started playing football. THEN I hit college and really packed it on. Something about drinking 6 days/nights a week and those all you can eat dining halls made me gain a ton of fat. I didn't think anything of it though and really didn't realize how big I was. I was still getting girls so I also didn't care too much. Then I graduated and came into the real world. Competition is higher and in most cases being fat just doesn't cut it so I started trying to lose.

I tried doing the Iwantsixpackabs.com plan and it went well but then I lost interest. I tried P90x and was doing great for the first month but again it got boring. I came back and did it again... then I lost interest and stopped again. Came back a 3rd time and was really determined... then I got wrecked on my motorcycle and now have a seperated AC Joint and was told I could not workout for at least 3 months so I gave up on eating right and working out.

That brings me to last week. I tried to do pushups to see if I could and tried a few pullups. They still hurt my shoulder but I could do some... good enough for me. I started looking around for something new for me that would keep my interest and then I found the caveman Power diet... liked the concept wanted more information. Then I found this place and I haven't been able to get any work done since. All I do is read. There is so much information! I love it.

I started "Going Primal" on Monday when I weighed 226.8. This morning I weighed 222.2. I've lost 4.6 lbs in 4 days. There is no way it's water weight because I have been drinking about a gallon of water a day and I haven't even been working out because I haven't had time! Needless to say I am a big fan of this lifestyle and diet. If anyone could tell me how I have managed to lose 4.6lbs in 4 days after consistently weighing 227 for the past 4 months that would be awesome.

Thanks for all the helpful reading!
    "It is your responsibility to control the outcome"
    "In our society, people respect weight loss. Even if you do nothing cool or interesting or memorable for the rest of your life, you'll have done that."
    "Is a brief moment on the lips, worth a long time on the hips?"

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Good luck Ryano! I am sure someone here can answer your question - a lot of people here are very knowledgeable.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Most of it is definitely water weight, since it happened in that short a time. You're probably less inflamed because you're eating less carbs and less irritating foods like grains, and one of the big things inflammation does is make you hold onto water (think about swelling when you get an injury - same idea). Also, you probably have less glycogen in your muscles, which is a way your body stores carbs.. and glycogen needs to be surrounded by a lot of water, so there's another source of weight loss. If you were eating some processed foods before, they were probably loaded with sodium, which also makes you hold onto water. And drinking more water sometimes helps you lose MORE water weight, as counter-intuitive as it seems, but I'm not sure of the mechanism behind that.

Also, you might be getting full quicker and therefore not eating as much food - so you'll have less solid waste hanging out in your digestive system at any given time.

But I'm sure you're also starting to lose fat, and it sounds like you've got a great attitude and lots of motivation, so I'm sure that will continue!
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Ryano is offline Junior Member
    Thanks! I didn't think it was possible to lose real weight that fast! I just figured that since i was drinking SO much water that it couldn't be water weight but the whole water making you lose water weight makes no sense. I'll go with it though since it happened haha. I think I picked the wrong time to go primal. So much halloween candy and it's freaking everywhere!
    "It is your responsibility to control the outcome"
    "In our society, people respect weight loss. Even if you do nothing cool or interesting or memorable for the rest of your life, you'll have done that."
    "Is a brief moment on the lips, worth a long time on the hips?"