Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full Carnivore? page

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member

Full Carnivore?

Primal Fuel
    I want to spend a day or two going all meat just to try it out, but I can't really picture how to fill out a day that way. Eggs, bacon, tuna, beef, and a handful of my mini-quiches is what I was thinking for tomorrow, but I think that only hits around 1800 calories.

A question for those of you who go no carb: What's a typical day's worth of meals look like for you?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I've never done it, but I agree it would be an interesting thing to try.

It might be useful to read Stefansson's The Fat of the Land first. This is the book where he describes how he did just this. Someone's put it online:

http://www.zerocarbage.com/library/FOTL.pdf

The important thing is to get enough fat.

One thing you could do is prepare by making some pemmican and have that for at least some of the meals. It seems it was really a travel food (and a stand-by for hard times) in the main - apart from anything else, making it was too labour-intensive a process for it to be made for everyday use. But no reason we shouldn't use it at other times. If you make it right it has the right proportions of fat to lean and, because it contains dried not cooked meat, should be richer in nutrients that aren't so heat-stable.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Advice from Stefannson: Eat the fat then the lean. Eat the fat until you are sick of eating fat and then start on the actual meat and eat that until you feel satiated.

Pick something very fatty (say a rack of ribs weighing well over a kilo). Don't worry about not eating it all, you can always throw it in the fridge. In fact, cook more than you expect to eat so you can get a feel for eating a meat only meal.

I would avoid bacon because if you go no carb you may lose a lot of water weight (and with them your K and Na) and most bacon is full of Na so you end up with a K to Na imbalance. At least, it happened to me after a week of no carb and lots of bacon and eggs.

Big steaks (with a strip of fat up the side) are good.

Go for fatty cuts like forequarter chops (I get lamb forequarter chops very cheap and they can be very fatty).

mikeha is offline Junior Member
    Keep it simple. Just eat about 1.5-2lbs of beef. Eat it all in one meal or 3.

I usually eat 2lbs of ground beef, 2 meals. So convenient and satisfying.

doghead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeha View Post
    Keep it simple. Just eat about 1.5-2lbs of beef. Eat it all in one meal or 3.

I usually eat 2lbs of ground beef, 2 meals. So convenient and satisfying.
    This is pretty much exactly what I eat.

Ground beef, seared. Sometime I mix in some chopped bacon. Eggs are also a big part of my diet.

An average meal might be 3-6 eggs, scrambled with half a pound or so of beef. This can be at anytime - I try to avoid thinking of food as "breakfast" or "dinner" - its just fuel my body needs to keep going.

Every so often I'll mix in some fish/poultry/other cuts, but ground beef is just too convenient - its cheap, I buy it in bulk and section off portions, freeze, and then just defrost as the week progresses.

Oh yeah - one other thing I've started recently - I go to the supermarket and ask for all the fat they would throw away. Usually they are more than happy to give me a few pounds, for free. I also freeze these, and then when cooking, Ill chop it up and mix it in with the beef. DELICIOUS.
    Last edited by doghead; 09-30-2010 at 09:35 AM.
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Dan Rivera is offline Member
    From what I've read, organ meats are an essential component as well.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    You will want about 75% fat and indeed brains, bone broth and organs to get all of the required nutrients. Possibly potassium chloride as seasoning since it appears that the main difficulty is potassium to sodium ratios. The fat should not be lard, chicken fat or anything with a significant amount of omega 6. Beef fat is best and brains are essential. Don't just eat meat without mind to nutrition or fat/protein ratio. That would be daft since too much protein and not enough fat is extremely unhealthy.

This may serve as a guide http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2
    Last edited by Stabby; 09-30-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    "Don't just eat meat without mind to nutrition or fat/protein ratio. That would be daft since too much protein and not enough fat is extremely unhealthy".

So when you brown your ground beef, don't drain all that good fat.

I remember back in the low fat days when not only would I drain it, I'd rinse it in very how water to get as much fat off as I could!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I know, me too. All of that waste! *cry*. These days I buy straight grassfed beef fat and eat it with a spoon.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    I know, me too. All of that waste! *cry*. These days I buy straight grassfed beef fat and eat it with a spoon.
    I rendered some grassfed beef fat a while ago and, by itself, it tastes like wax. Melted and mixed with salt it's ok, but still pretty mild in flavor. Am I missing something?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast