Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too much fish? page

lbt
    lbt is offline Member

too much fish?

How much is too much fish in regards to mercury, etc? I live on a pretty tight budget and am slowly trying to incorporate other sources of protein, but some/most days my meals consist of tuna and salmon. Is this too much?

Nat
    Nat is offline Member
    I only eat seafood (mainly fresh fish or frozen prawns; I try to limit the canned stuff) for animal protein, so I'll be interested to hear people's opinions about this.

Joe B is offline Member
    I think it's the higher up the food chain that the fish is, the more mercury it has. I *think*, not sure, so don't hold me to it. Tuna has more mercury than salmon, so if you are only eating fish then stick to salmon more. On a different note: Is meat that expensive near you? I can get pork butts, briskets, and ribs for under $2/lb at Sam's Club. Fish costs at least $6-7/lb, and that's the farmed stuff. Don't know where you are shopping, but you should definitely look around for deals.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Mercury is not a problem with fish, since fish already contains high levels of Selenium which "binds" with Mercury, and will eliminate it from our body.

http://www.mercuryfacts.org/fselenium.cfm

http://www.pelicanpackers.com/GoodForYou.html

Of course, there are other problems associated with fish, or at least most farmed raised seafood.
    Last edited by Zed; 09-29-2010 at 09:59 PM.

lbt
    lbt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    On a different note: Is meat that expensive near you?
    Honestly, I am coming off of being a vegetarian and tofu is ridiculously cheap. I'm going to start shopping around and do some serious meal planning. Which pains me because when you're on a budget, one (me, at least) tends to shy away from recipes. Recipes = $$$ I usually buy my salmon at Sam's, but do most of my shopping at Whole Foods. My weekly groceries typically did cost me around 60-80 and that's when I was doing the 5 meals a day thing.

Mangrove is offline Junior Member
    Mercury should not be a problem is most areas since according to a Finnish study made in the Baltic Sea, the most polluted sea in the world, the mercury level in the fish species were all below the safety limit set by EU. * This is good since Baltic Herring and other small fishes are generally the same price or cheaper than meat here, for example I can get herring fillet for 4€ per kg or 2,5$ per lb.

* http://www.palvelu.fi/evi/files/55_519_301.pdf (in Finnish)

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I think omnivorism just does cost more than vegetarianism, or more than wholefood veganism anyway - I could live on about 5/week as a vegan (beans and rice followed by rice and beans...). Two thoughts: organ meats; cheaper fish. It may be different here in the UK, but the less popular fish, like mackerel, are spectacularly cheap.

lbt
    lbt is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I think omnivorism just does cost more than vegetarianism, or more than wholefood veganism anyway - I could live on about 5/week as a vegan (beans and rice followed by rice and beans...). Two thoughts: organ meats; cheaper fish. It may be different here in the UK, but the less popular fish, like mackerel, are spectacularly cheap.
    I will have to look into that. Not sure I'm ready yet to step into organ meats.
    Funny thing is is that I never ate a lot of rice and beans....I've never been able to tolerate beans very well. I was pretty low carb then. I just had my oatmeal for breakfast and an Ezekiel wrap with my Sunshine burger for lunch. I was obsessed with protein and fat even then, so it's just been difficult getting rid of the tofu at night. I always had stir-fry at night.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member

Joe B is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lbt View Post
    Honestly, I am coming off of being a vegetarian and tofu is ridiculously cheap. I'm going to start shopping around and do some serious meal planning. Which pains me because when you're on a budget, one (me, at least) tends to shy away from recipes. Recipes = $$$ I usually buy my salmon at Sam's, but do most of my shopping at Whole Foods. My weekly groceries typically did cost me around 60-80 and that's when I was doing the 5 meals a day thing.
    Well that's why everything is so expensive, you are shopping at "Whole Paycheck!" It's a rip-off, I never shop there, prices are alway higher there. An 8oz jar of almond butter is $10, whereas at Trader Joe's a 1lb jar is $5. Recipes do not mean $$, as long as you are resourceful. Ex: use leftover chicken bones to make a broth instead of buying chicken stock, and basic aromatics are cheap. Get a crockpot, it is my most used and favorite kitchen appliance, and makes tasty meals with minimal effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast