Thread: Didn't someone post an advertisement for sugar? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

Didn't someone post an advertisement for sugar?

Shop Now
    Hey Everyone,

I remember someone posting an advertisement that talked about the wonders of sugar (I think?) and I'd love to find it for a project I'm working on, but I have no idea what search terms to use to try and find it. Does anyone have that ad or remember what the thread was called?

Thanks!

(P.S.) My project is a rhetorical analysis on health literature, and how language/persuasion techniques either promote truth or obscure it. If you have any good articles for tricky wording or advertisements that would be good to look at, let me know!

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Might it be the campaigns to improve the reputation of corn syrup?

free3337 is offline Member

Thank you! I ended up finding that ad and another one in the same campaign. Great example Thanks!

Also, unsuperb, I was not thinking of that article but that's a great example of what's I'm trying to do. Thanks for the suggestion!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Actually, Thomas Paine's (sp?) Common Sense and Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal", along with Voltaire and Mark Twain would work well.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    That would be hilarious. Although I think that Tom Naughton has a monopoly on the Modest Proposal parodies at the moment http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2010/09/27/a-modest-proposal/
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Good point, Stabby. That was funny as hell!
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I like this one about what the ADA says: http://holdthetoast.com/content/nms_flyer

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Actually, Thomas Paine's (sp?) Common Sense and Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal", along with Voltaire and Mark Twain would work well.
    Thanks! What I'm trying to do is take famous thinkers and rhetoricians and apply their concepts to health literature that is floating around. I just started, and my first post explains the concept more fully and the second post is an example of what I plan to do. The second post uses the sugar ads from the 60's like the one above

Anyway, it's healthrhetoric.blogspot.com if you're interested!