Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figure/fitness competition page

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member

Figure/fitness competition

Hi everyone, I'm thinking training to compete in a figure competition next august, almost a year from now and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me? I currently do crossfit about 4 times a week and i'm going to start supplementing with some heavier weight at the gym. I've been leaning up pretty quickly with crossfit (i love it!!) but if any of you have experience with figure competing, I would greatly appreciate the input! And yes, that is me in my picture
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Well you need to give us some stats first! I just helped a friend train for her comp, and now actually have some experience with this!

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    crossfit might be excellent to lean out yes... but you actually do need to put on A LOT of muscle to do well in such competitions, so heavy lifting has to take priority. I think if yo really dedicate yourself you can be on stage in a year, but muscle matturity also plays a big part - but you have to start competing sometime if you want and in novice classes it is usually taken into consideration that the competitors havent had too many years under their belt yet (at least most). just judging from your pictures you would need at least 15 - 20 lbs of lean mass on you...
    whats your height and current weight?
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

My current height is 5'9" and weight is 130lbs. I am going to start doing more heavy lifting at the gym instead of crossfit

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Good luck mfoxy! My friend is competing and she's been heavy lifting for 2 years now, and looks RIPPED! I'm sure you can get there! My friend found a trainer that trains competitors, and that was a big help. She eats primal so that was the one struggle the trainer had in the beginning, until he witnessed how lean she would get, quite easily before a competition! lol

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    A very vague but great formula I have seen used is as follows:
    1) First few months, heavy weights, high reps, absolutely fatigue your muscles. You want to get 'big' here and put your muscles into sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and just grow, so eat heaps. Some steady state cardio.
    2) Keep the weight but lower the reps to about 1-2 before failure at about 6-7 reps. Lower food consumption. Sort of a mix between Sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy. A mix of steady state cardio with maybe twice a week hit of HIIT.
    3) Switch to super heavy weights at low reps. Im talking max 5 and make sure you are nowhere near fatigue. Lower your calories substantially. You will probably lose some size, but stick with it. Mix of steady state cardio and 3-4 times a week hit of HIIT.
    4) Because in the last few months you lost some size due to calorie deficit, a month before show you amp it up again. It will give your muscles that shrink wrapped look because you are increasing size quickly. Go back to just some steady state cardio.

So thats my thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks so much paleo_rob, that was just what I needed! I will definitely keep you posted I have a little less than a year so I'm hoping that will be enough time!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    I bet you can do it! Check out this female figure competitor's site, her and I have been emailing, she is very sweet but totally BADASS! http://fortheloveofcookies.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the link, I just checked it out!! I see she also has tried the leangains approach, which i'm thinking of trying as well. I read on his site another female figure competitor Christine Weber does IF also...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh and also, since I do need to gain quite a bit of muscle, how many calories should I be aiming for in this phase?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast