Thread: S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G workouts....what does Grok...I mean Mark say? page

Dynamo is offline Member

Cool S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G workouts....what does Grok...I mean Mark say?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all!

New to the forum here and appreciate all that have contributed! Good stuff!

If anyone has done any Classic Stretching and/or reading on the topic, you might understand my question more. I know Mark is ok with us doing non-static stretching, but there is more too it than simply stretching to prepare or cool down.

I don't think Grok ever stretched, like I am talking about here.

Does anyone have any data or threads they can share on the topic? I did do a search, but nothing came up.

Thanks!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Mark;s articles RE: stretching
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

and I really like his mobility series, more about range of motion than stretching, but I think its related
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

If you search the main site, instead of the forums, you will get Mark's articles.
    If you search the forums.... good luck.

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    I think the argument that grok never stretched is kind of meaningless. Grok also didnt sit in office chairs for hours at a time, or wear shoes for 10 hours a day, or do a lot of the other things that affect the length and tension of our muscles. I believe that stretching a few key muscles in conjunction with strength training is critical to restoring good posture for the majority of us. http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/ is an excellent resource on the topic.

Dynamo is offline Member
    Wow! Thanks to both of you for your input and the links! I appreciate knowing that Grok likely did not need to stretch and our modern life style would cause more of a need for this....

Again, thank you both, and I will check out those links!

Enjoy the day!

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    If you want to become more flexible, Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz is the best and only book you will ever need. Trust me. The DVD is very 1980s however, so maybe just get the book

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    I don't much care if Grok would have or did stretch. All I know is that static stretching and yoga both put me in a very peaceful place and I feel great afterwards. Do I need another reason? Nope.

gini is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of yin yoga when I need to really stretch out (I fly a lot for work, and those seats are not conducive to anything!).

Yin yoga is similar to hatha yoga, but that stretches the connective tissue (joints) rather than conditioning the muscles, the latter being the aim of most other styles of hatha yoga. The practice is characterized by passive asanas held for several minutes each.

Dynamo is offline Member
    You people are amazing! I love the other ideas, have checked out the prior links posted, and now I have more things to look into! Wow! Thank you so much! I have just become "attached" to stretching recently - after much hesitation about the benefits. I was pretty die hard: if you aren't grunting and moaning and going to your max, what is the use? I am happy to report, I have since changed my mind

Thanks for the words of wisdom and your personal journeys with various sorts of stretching. I will google it all

Freshy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I think the argument that grok never stretched is kind of meaningless. Grok also didnt sit in office chairs for hours at a time, or wear shoes for 10 hours a day, or do a lot of the other things that affect the length and tension of our muscles. I believe that stretching a few key muscles in conjunction with strength training is critical to restoring good posture for the majority of us. http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/ is an excellent resource on the topic.
    Thanks for that site, it is awesome! "wind up the psoas and start searching for your business." I LOL!