Thread: Liver! Liver? page

GrokInTheFog is offline Junior Member

Liver! Liver?

Shop Now
    Okay, so I see many of you listing liver on your "super foods." I am a pretty adventurous eater, but I can't remember the last time I bought liver, unless it was in a mashed form.

Tell me what you do with your liver! Are there liver-buying/ storing tips one should consider?

Help a newbie out....

Thanks!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I just had a big ol' hunk of beef liver yesterday, fried up in a big frying pan with onions and mushrooms. A minute head-start for the onions, 2-1/2 minutes each side and it's done. (I use coconut oil; not sure what the traditional oil is. Bacon grease would probably taste great.)

Longtail4711 is offline Senior Member
    MMMMMM, I LOVE liver!

My recipe is to soak it in milk for an hour or so before cooking.

On medium-high heat, I sauté up onions and sometimes mushrooms in butter, then place those over on the side on the plate. Then I cook the liver in more butter for 1 1/2 minutes - 2 minutes on each side.

I love it with squash. Om nom nom...

trobi is offline Member
    I can't stand the stuff. I tried the recipe they have on the blog for chicken liver, and tried my own way of cooking, and then another recipe I found online. I hate the smell, the taste, the texture... Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I don't know if I'll ever be one of the people who love it.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    I grate a few oz of frozen calf's liver and throw it in the blender with tomato juice, lime juice, salt, and a dash of cayenne and drink it down. I feel amazing for the rest of the day.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Strewth. I am comprehensively out-grokked.

I bought a whole lamb's liver, sliced it finely and froze the slices so I can grab one or two at a time. I drop them into a frying pan with whatever's handy - mushroom, bacon, egg, purple sprouting broccoli... . From frozen, it takes a similar time to those things; thawed it'd take less, just a couple of minutes. It's on a par with eggs for 'fast food'. Oh, and adding a bit of liquid, stock or something, isn't necessary but doesn't hurt.

Chicken liver is milder and goes very nicely with mince and in soups, stews and gravies. The other day I fried up chicken liver, bacon and a bunch of vegetables (squash, sweet potato, onion, pepper - not planned, just what there was), simmered in chicken stock for a while and put about half of the veg through a potato ricer once they were tender. Got something between soup and stew - lovely.

Going to ask for beef liver next time.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    A quick tasty way to eat your liver (well not your liver, some animal's liver) is to fry up some strips of bacon and some onion, then fry strips of liver in the bacon fat - lots of pepper and some sage if you've got some handy.

stef is offline Member
    I make Mario Batali's recipe maybe once a week. Calf's Liver Venetian Style:

Heat olive oil and butter in saute pan. Dredge liver in (he says flour, I say almond meal, seasoned with S&P - this is an essential step). Cook until browned on the first side, about 4 minutes. Remove to plate. Add one sliced onion to pan, cook until soft and golden, about ten minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and S&P. Place liver on top of onions uncooked side down, reduce heat to med & cook until just cooked throught, about five minutes. (He serves with Italian parsley, I don't).