Thread: Where to find frugal staples, online page

Redflame is offline Senior Member

Where to find frugal staples, online

Primal Fuel
    Hey there,

I am struggling as to where to find basic staples such as shredded coconut, coconut oil, and almond meal. Of course I want to be as frugal as possible, which will allow more in my budget to invest in high quality meats.
    Where I live you can get great prices on fruit, and homemade tortillas, but in a town of 90,000 we only have two health food stores, and they are very limited. Of course nothing like a Trader Joes, or a Whole Foods anywhere close, I would have to go over a mountain range and toward Seattle to find those!
    I did find two outlets online but I was wondering if anyone knows of any better prices?
    Azure Standard has;
    32 ounce Expeller Pressed, refined Coconut Oil for $11 a jar
    16 ounce, Organic Centrifuged Coconut Oil for $10.25 a jar
    Is there a huge difference in the health benefits between the two? I imagine there is considering the price.

Shredded Coconut 2.5 bulk bag $4.25
    Shredded Cocount organic 2.5 lbs, $5.70

Almond Meal, Bulk bag, Bob's Red Mill, 5 lbs, 27.00

Tropical Traditions had gallon tubs of coconut, which I thought was a great price, but since seeing the one at Azure, I am now changing my mind
    3.5 lbs shred 16.99
    2 lbs flake 10.99
    2 lbs chip 10.99

ANYONE have any other suggestions? I would really like to get set up on some of these staples.....I think the 'winter' bug is hitting and I want to stash away my acorns!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Wish I could help. We have Whole Foods, TJs, various local chains with natural food emphasis, 50 farmers markets, 2 natural food coops. Sorry, not trying to rub it in. Hope you find a good source.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    You might want to try Netrition (just Google it). I've been ordering from them for years. They have minimal shipping charges and great customer service.

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    If you order from Nutiva for coconut oil you can get gallons of coconut oil fairly cheap, especially when compared to buying smaller quantities in the store. They may still be taking coupon code FBFAN for 20% off as well. We got 4 gallons of coconut oil there a couple months ago for $140 shipped since shipping is free if you order over a certain amount.

On Azure vs TT I'd probably suggest trying them in smaller quantities to make sure you like it first. 2.5 lbs of coconut is a lot if it doesn't taste good. I know people rave about TT here. I've just been going Nutiva because of the cost and the fact that I still like it a lot but with flakes I've been looking at TT lately. Sometimes they have free shipping for certain days too so keep that in mind.

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    This is not what you are asking about but I really like this store and it could save you some money on other kinds of basic supplies, in this case spices and herbs. They are a wholesaler with a retail outlet. You have to buy a bit more quantity than usual, but frequently you are getting 4-5x as much for about the same price. Compare peppercorns for example. What I have gotten from this store - 2 kinds of paprika, chipotle powder, chili powder, cayenne, mustard, thyme, black peppercorns, white pepper, cinnamon, allspice, curry powder, garam masala, cocoa, black tea, white tea, chamomile, lemon balm, maybe a few others. The quality is good and cooking is fun with a well stocked spice rack since you can make so many different things.

http://sfherb.com/

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I've given up on coconut oil - it's FAR too expensive for me! I've not found anywhere to buy it in bulk (and then I've nowhere to store it, even if I could) and the price would probably still be prohibitive.

I know of one place which sells it online here, but they want 9 for a 400ml tub (which is probably a rip off as most of their products are). They also screw you on the shipping too... Barstewards!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the replys! I really appreciate your time. For a minute I thought I may have to put POT in the title to get some replys.

I think I may have to take a field trip to Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Its about a 3 hour trip one way, but I could get a few people together and make it a fun outing. And I better get it done now before the snow hits and Central Washington is cut off from easily traveling to the West side (Seattle)

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    Hi fellow WA Primal person! Not sure if you're a Costco member/how close the nearest Costco is for you, but I would suggest making your own almond meal with a food processor/coffee grinder. A 3lb. bag of almonds there is around $9.89, plus then you have whole almonds and well as the option to create the almond meal.

MarkP is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Amazon has a lot of coconut oil:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...qid=1285937467

free shipping over $25 too.