Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking meat indoors; at home meat preservation page

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Smoking meat indoors; at home meat preservation

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering if anyone smokes their meat and fish indoors. I currently make BBQ-type meats in my slow cooker, but that doesn't impart any smokey flavor. Just did some quick googling and found a stovetop smoker that looks like it might get the job done (check Amazon for Nordic Ware Oven Essentials Indoor and Outdoor Smoker), but would love to hear anyone's experience with any kind of indoor smoking ideas/contraptions.

On a similar note, does anyone preserve their meat by brining for extended periods of time? I've made "smoked" salmon before by salting it, etc., but would also like to experiment with meat. I realize it's not necessary since we live in the age of refrigeration, but brining just makes meat taste good
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Somewhere I saw a video about using a wok and some tin foil to make a small smoker. I think you put water and wood chips in the bottom, cover them with a loose tin foil cap, and put your meat on a grate above that. Loosely cover the whole thing with the lid.

Found one on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is0yYF_FsW8

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    You can smoke fish indoors but any type of pork or beef requires an extended period of time. For instance, if I smoke a 15 pound pork butt, it takes about 12-14 hours. The mantra of smoking meat is low and slow. About 225-250 degrees and many, many hours...unless it's some type of fish which typically takes a couple of hours.

Tamo, thanks for that link. Awesome idea! I don't have a wok, but might be fun to experiment with the concept in a large frying pan instead.

Mike -- that's a good point, meat would require more time. But what if it's like 4 lbs of ribs -- could potentially do it in 3-4 hrs, no?

periquin is offline Senior Member
    What sort of papers do you use when you smoke meat?

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    I have done pork shoulder for 10 or so hours and beef brisket in the oven. No smoke but liquid smoke added to sauce is actually pretty good.

This is a wholesaler but just showing you what I use.

http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=138

A little goes a long way. You don't need the 12 oz bottles (also available online at other retailers) unless you are doing *a lot* of these types of foods. Also comes in mesquite.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Jamie Oliver (yes, him!) bodged a smoker out of an old biscuit tin, some wire mesh, wood chips.... think he only did fish or thin sliced meat though. Sounds simliar to the wok idea

I thought this Hot Smoked Salmon recipe looked interesting, but i haven't tried it. Plus it's using up rice.

http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/ho...on?backto=true
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. [Kahlil Gibran]

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysgettinglost View Post
    I thought this Hot Smoked Salmon recipe looked interesting, but i haven't tried it. Plus it's using up rice.

http://www.wholeliving.com/recipe/ho...on?backto=true
    Wow I'm really intrigued by this, thanks for sharing. I wonder if using rice would impart the smokey flavor that is produced by using chips.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJ View Post
    I have done pork shoulder for 10 or so hours and beef brisket in the oven. No smoke but liquid smoke added to sauce is actually pretty good.

This is a wholesaler but just showing you what I use.

http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=138

A little goes a long way. You don't need the 12 oz bottles (also available online at other retailers) unless you are doing *a lot* of these types of foods. Also comes in mesquite.
    Thanks for mentioning this. A while back I remember thinking I need to get some liquid smoke (a recipe called for it, probably), but never got around to it. Definitely interested in trying that, though.

@NMG: Pretty neat! If I had those things laying around, I'd totally give it a shot!

Oh by the way, I found this stovetop smoker on Amazon, and seems like people really love it. For now, I'm going to resist the impulsive urge to buy it and try one of the homemade methods first, but maybe some day ...
    http://tinyurl.com/3y665yb

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Maria - FYI I get that liquid smoke at the regular chain supermarket around here. I think you'll be able to find it. Lastly, it is good to know that liquid smoke is natural and safe. Wiki says this:

"Liquid smoke consists of smoke produced through the controlled burning of wood chips or sawdust, condensed and then passed through water, which captures and dissolves the smoke-flavored components in solution. The liquid base can be condensed and modified through many methods to develop a wide range of smoke flavors."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast