Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal ~*~ Mainiaca - My Evolution page

Mainiaca is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal ~*~ Mainiaca - My Evolution

Shop Now
    My evolution thru the low-carb world from Atkins to Primal and everything in between.
    A quick synopsis:
    1999 - first learned of Low-carb way of eating and the Atkins Diet. Joined the Low-Carb Friends bulletin board. Lost 25 pounds in 3 months.
    2000 - stopped Atkins - gained back 25 pounds and more
    2002 - tried Atkins again - no luck
    2002 - after a failed attempt at Atkins I tried Weight Watchers low-carb type points diet online. Did the diet for 3 months - no loss.
    2004 - Moved to Maine. By 2006 had ballooned to 186lbs at 5'3".
    2006 - started current job in Portland. Company has free, totally equipped gym in building!
    Jan 2, 2007 Started South Beach and working out. Lost 42 pounds in one year. Also became completely addicted to artificial sweeteners - especially Splenda.
    Somewhere i there I also tried the Zone diet, A low fat diet consisting mostly of a carby breakfast and Weight Watcher or Healthy Choice frozen dinners for my other meals.

Jan 2008 - had sinus surgery including a pre-op course of Prednisone and post-op course of Prednisone. Went back to work and got a huge sinus infection. Was put on Augmenten - didn't work, then Cipro - didn't work, then Levaquin - finally cleared up sinus infection after about 10 weeks on antibiotics.
    NO weight loss since Jan 2008. Maintained weight for about year then slowly gained back 20 pounds. Stall believed to be caused by antibiotics.

August 2010 learned about the Primal Blueprint - bought the book and started learning all I could.

Oct 4, 2010 - started Primal way of life
    Last edited by Mainiaca; 10-05-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: to add history

Day 1 - Not totally Primal but not too bad of a start I think. Managed to get by without diving into the vast array of Pinera bagels and assorted cream cheeses that the boss brought in for the first day of Customer Service Appreciation Week - more goodies are sure to follow the rest of the week tho we haven't been told what yet.
    Had a baseline measure, BMI and weight done at the gym this morning. Numbers are up since the last one in March but that was to be expected after this wayward summer. So glad to be getting back on the low-carb path!
    Today's menu:
    B: green tea, crepes, blueberries, butter
    S: 1/4 C pumpkin seeds
    L: cherry tomatoes, balsamic and evoo, 1 oz cheddar
    D: chicken cacciatori (free range boneless skinless thighs from WF, parm, provolone, sauce)

A little carby but I'll chalk that up to the abundant tomato crop in my garden the past few weeks.

More tomorrow!

Thumbs up

Day 2
    Did well today - think I have a good supplement schedule set up including Omega 3's and Vitamin D.
    Bosses dragged out all the left-over bagels and cream cheese from yesterday and added boxes of donuts. What is it with these people? I stayed away from the bagels and had a whole fat Greek yogurt with about 1/4 cup strawberries. Gonna keep a little dairy in my diets for a bit - once or twice a week.
    My plan is to limit dairy to the occasional Greek yogurt, cream in my coffee - when I have coffee, and butter.

B: green tea, Greek yogurt, strawberries (seemed bloated a while later - dairy issue?)
    L: leftover chicken cacciatori from last night
    D: onion, green pepper, mushroom, tomato scramble with pastured eggs and a little shredded cheese, tea
    Exercise: leg machine workout

So far so good. Lunch is all set to go for tomorrow - hopefully food is not on the bosses list of ways to appreciate me tomorrow!

Started a little health diary to track how I'm feeling to see if headaches, muscle aches and stress and anxiety ease up or go away - here's hoping!
    Last edited by Mainiaca; 10-06-2010 at 03:48 PM.

quick stop in for now - will post for the day later but...
    I noticed people are peeking in at this journal - if anyone has any tips, help, criticisms please, please feel free to post a reply. Any help on this journey will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Day 3:
    Did really well today - bosses brought in pizza for lunch - they even ordered a gluten free pizza due to a few people with Celiac and I didn't have any of it. Opted for a salad instead!

B: green tea, 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 sausage, 1 bacon
    S: small amount of pumpkin seeds
    L: salad (tomatoes, lettuce, shredded carrots, chicken, a little tuna salad with mayo, balsamic & evoo dressing)
    D: about 5 ozs sockeye Salmon cooked in butter and olive oil, tea, a few cherry tomatoes
    Totals: fat 69g (63%), carbs 27g (11%), Protein 65.4 (26%)

Workout: stretch routine

Day 4:
    so-so eats today. Opted for an omelet at work instead of the sugary 0% fat yogurt I brought from home. Not "clean" but better than the yogurt I think - carb-wise anyway. Didn't have the tomatoes and cheese either - SF iced coffee from Tim Horton's - cream and Truvia. A few cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup of carrots and grass fed meatloaf (which was so-so) and tea.

On the up side - I won a 19" flat-screen HD TV at work today as part of Customer Service Appreciation Week. Now that's what I call being appreciated!

B: green tea, 3 egg omelet with tomatoes, cheese and mushrooms
    L: 1/2 caf iced coffee with SF pumpkin syrup / Truvia
    D: 1 slice meat loaf (grass-fed beef, ground pork, milled flax - not very good) topped with a little Newman's salsa, tea, 1C carrots
    S: 2 squares G&B 85% chocolate
    Totals: fat 98g (68%), sat fat 28.9 carbs 41.5g (13%), Protein 62.6 (19%)
    Last edited by Mainiaca; 10-08-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: added stats

Day 5 - Friday:
    Really good except for dinner - take out night
    Went to the farm to pick-up some grass-fed beef, sausage, raw milk yogurt and cheese, eggs. May end up helping the owners with their website - hopefully in exchange for products.

Got Grilled chicken salad from Sophia's - no other options that are even close to being OP. Opted for no croutons, no bread - still had parm peppercorn dressing - should've had EVOO with Balsamic vinegar from home instead. Had a few onion rings too. May have to opt out f take-out night from now on. We'll see.

BD party tomorrow in NH - and ye there will be cake - UGH! Will have a good breakfast and lunch before heading down - hopefully will keep me away from the junk at he party.

Today's eats:
    B: GM pumpkin coffee, truvia, cream / 1/2 C Fage greek yogurt with a few tablespoons pumpkin puree / truvia
    L: 2 fried LOL eggs / 1-1/2 slices bacon
    D: Grilled chicken salad with parm ppcrn dresing / green tea / a few onion rings
    S: decaf iced coffee with SF syrup, whole milk
    Totals: fat 44g (53%), sat fat (15.1), carbs 53g (28%), Protein 36.4 (19%)

Day 6 - Saturday
    Mae's BD party - ate like crap felt like crap - all I'm gonna say.

Day 7 - end of week 1
    Back on track today.

B: egg omelet cooked in a little bacon grease and some butter, 2 slices american cheese, home-grown tomatoes, small amount of onions and peppers, 1-1/2 slices bacon, Lady Grey tea
    L: Iced coffee, SF chocolate syrup, whole milk. Chicken salad w/celery & mayo, a few cherry tomatoes
    S: 1/2C greek yogurt, pumpkin puree
    D: Small amount of roasted chicken and carrots

Looking forward to not having the bosses offering a bunch of crappy food all week - and getting my new TV!

PrimalCon New York
    Monday
    B: crepes / blueberries / butter / tea
    L: chicken salad / tomatoes
    S: 6 squares green and black
    D: cheeseburger (not farm) onions and peppers, tomato, tea

legs workout

Down 1.5 pounds - 156.5

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast