Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Enough Protein page

RednGreen is offline Member

Not Enough Protein

Primal Fuel
    I have problems getting enough protein. If I eat enough to meet my daily needs, which according to the book is about 115 grams/day, I would have to increase the fat and carbs as well to keep my ratios of fat, carbs and proteins where they should be. I feel like I would be forcing myself to eat food I'm not hungry for. I have noticed the more protein I eat, the more success I have with my weight loss. (Which, btw, if I stayed at this weight for the rest of my life, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but ideally I would like to lose about another 10 lbs)

Am I overthinking this? Anyone else have this issue?
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    You could always add things to your diet that are pure protein. Canned tuna, for example, is just about pure protein.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Put shrimp on your food. 1 cup = 40 g protein. Also don't kill yourself over ratios.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RednGreen View Post
    I have problems getting enough protein. If I eat enough to meet my daily needs, which according to the book is about 115 grams/day, I would have to increase the fat and carbs as well to keep my ratios of fat, carbs and proteins where they should be. I feel like I would be forcing myself to eat food I'm not hungry for. I have noticed the more protein I eat, the more success I have with my weight loss. (Which, btw, if I stayed at this weight for the rest of my life, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but ideally I would like to lose about another 10 lbs)

Am I overthinking this? Anyone else have this issue?
    I have noticed this too. When I first started using FitDay, I realised that my protein intake was way below even 80 grams per day; to increase this and keep ratios as we are told they should be, I simply could not eat the amount of food required.

So - I started weighing everything I ate (in grams because I find that easier) and checking on FitDay to see how I was doing with vitamins, minerals, RDA etc , whihc was just fine (needed more potassium and magnesium most days and of course Vit D!)

I have just accepted that I can't eat huge amounts, nor do I want to. Weight has reduced then levelled off, health has much improved , BP is reduced and good - so I'm not worrying if my protein intake is lower than 90. Surely the figures are arbitrary to some extent anyway?!

I eat lots of meat (including fish), cottage cheese and eggs and I still supplement with whey protein powder. Most of the time I go way over a gram per pound of lean body mass that I have, but since protein is filling and makes a really bad fuel I don't care. I know that I'm getting plenty of energy from the fat that inherently comes along with the protein. As much as I tout high protein intake it's still only fifty to sixty percent of my diet. I just err on the side of too much protein rather than not enough.

RednGreen is offline Member
    Thanks for your responses. I haven't been having smoothies lately and have just very recently introduced coconut oil to my diet (thanks to this forum). I think this may be a good opportunity to get back on the smoothie train and add in these 2 ingredients!
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    You could always add things to your diet that are pure protein. Canned tuna, for example, is just about pure protein.
    +1.
    You don't have to eat fatty meats all the time. Round steak/London Broil is a pretty lean cut, too----and it's delicious if you cook it rare
    Please make sure you get the amount of protein you really need.

Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    +1.
    You don't have to eat fatty meats all the time. Round steak/London Broil is a pretty lean cut, too----and it's delicious if you cook it rare
    Please make sure you get the amount of protein you really need.
    I have moved down a notch on my steaks too, by the way. I used to be a fan of medium rare, but now I'm all the way to full on rare. I fixed a rare T bone Monday night that came out just awesome. I could probably down a steak raw if I were so inclined.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

I think I'm only cooking them to take the chill off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast