Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I do myself some 'damage' when I IFed for 36 hours? page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Question Did I do myself some 'damage' when I IFed for 36 hours?

Shop Now
    If so, how do I start to reverse it? I didn't feel too bad up until I did so, which is why I went for it. Now I feel like crap (and wondering if that's the reason for the 2" gain and having to go up a clothes size).

I don't ache as much as I did the other day, but I'm defininitely feeling 'flabbier' and my belly's very tender and distended.

My diet is, at the moment, around 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs.

The thing is, though, I never feel satiated. Before I did the long fast I was able to eat 2 meals a day, and not really feel hungry in between. I feel sick with hunger at the moment, and I only ate about 5 hours ago.

Obviously, my body's attempting to tell me something, but I just can't figure out what. I feel tired, listless and fed up (just not literally!)

What have I done to myself and what do I do to reverse it...? If I could exercise today I would, but I don't really have the energy (not tired enough to sleep, though...)

Just hoping that there's a (fairly) simple and quick solution to this!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Fasting for 36 hours in and of it's self shouldn't do any harm. I can go for as long as 48 once in a while with no repercussions other than I really need to get my protein back up when I do that so, I don't do it very often. I would also recommend upping your protein a little as well. Protein in my opinion is the most satiating of macro nutrient anyway.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Yes....you shouldn't have IF'd for that long (if at all) this early in your change of lifestyle, and while you're still a long way from stability on the plan.

If it's 5 hours since you ate and you are hungry, EAT! Eat primal food. Why are you choosing NOT to eat?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    You're right, your body is trying to tell you something...EAT. You're hungry 36 hours is a long time. I've been doing this for a while now and I normaly stick to 18-20 hours(24 occasionaly). I don't see the added benefit of going that much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    You're right, your body is trying to tell you something...EAT. You're hungry 36 hours is a long time. I've been doing this for a while now and I normaly stick to 18-20 hours(24 occasionaly). I don't see the added benefit of going that much longer.
    Sorry I should have been clearer. I did this about 10 days, ago, not yesterday!. Not felt right since!

So, Liz, anyone - have I REALLY gained a lot of fat (or swapped muscle for fat) in such a short space of time? If so, what can I do about it? Feeling like this does NOTHING for my self esteem, self confidence and BDD!!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Violet,

I've no idea. Doesn't seem physiologically possible to me, but who knows?

What I do know is this....I'm feeling incredibly motherly toward your body. I feel like you're putting it through the wringer, and all with such dislike. If I were your body, I'd feel hated, unloved, abused by both food and lack-of-food. I'd never know from week to week if I'd be eating/not-eating/eating good food/eating ganache and kir. And at this point, I'd be acting out, much like your body seems to be.

Be KIND to your body. Love it. It's a miracle, an amazing thing, something science can't begin to recreate. Is it perfect? Of course not--no-one's is. But it's YOUR body and the only one you'll ever have. I honestly think that if you start being kind to your body and truly nourishing it, this torment could stop.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    +1,000,000
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    It is not possible to gain 2" of fat over a 2, 3 or even 4 day period. I keep seeing in your posts 'I have gone up two dress sizes since last week', 'I have gained 2" all over in the space of X hours', 'I am feeling flabbier than I did yesterday, what is wrong with me?'.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you have an eating disorder that has not sorted itself out. I don't know if you are getting help for that or not, but if not, maybe it will help you feel better about yourself overall. Feel better.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Are you close to your period? Many women on this board stuggle with satiety and carbs the week prior to and for some the week of their period. This could also explain needing bigger clothes and 2 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    Are you close to your period? Many women on this board stuggle with satiety and carbs the week prior to and for some the week of their period. This could also explain needing bigger clothes and 2 lbs.

Nope - had that a month ago. Probably won't see another for a month or 2. And Sam, you tell that to the figures in my logbook then! It is possible because it's happened to me*. Bugger all to do with an ED (for which I won't be seeking help as I do not wish to get any fatter, ta! Y'see what they do for EDs over here is pump you full of APs - main side effect? WEIGHT GAIN!!!!)

* The camera doesn't lie either! This is acual hard fat, because I've been fat before and I know what fat feels like!
    Last edited by Shrinking_Violet; 09-30-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast