Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick foods page

Tracy is offline Junior Member

Sick foods

Primal Fuel
    Hi Everybody,

Hope you all are doing well. I am home sick with strep throat (probably). I am just wondering if you guys have any foods that you would eat lots of to help your immune system fight. I definitely have an appetite, I just feel like my head is going to explode, and my throat is very sore. I'm drinking lots of water, and supplementing with Vitamin D, krill oil, and a multi vitamin. I am a college student and need to be back on my feet asap!

Thank you!

Tracy

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I am fighting off a mild throat irritation (dare i say infection??) myself
    bone broth!
    fresh garlic/ginger
    SLEEP!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Have you checked to see if it's strep throat (white spots in back of mouth)? If you see the spots, IMO you need to seek medical attention and get some antibiotics.

Broths are always good. So is hot tea with lemon & honey. When I had strep a couple of years ago the bestest thing ever was full-fat FAGE Total Greek yogurt. Gee, that stuff was like magic and was the only thing that actually made my throat feel better.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Seconding the bone broth. Chicken soup has scientific backing as something that eases colds...I assume it would also work for strep throat.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Tracy is offline Junior Member
    My grocery store only has "chicken broth" and does not explicitly say if it is from bone or not. Any opinions if this is just as good? (As long as it doesnt have other wierd things in it that no one can pronounce)

Grizz is offline Banned

Tracy,
    To boost our immune systems we take the following,

1 tblsp each:
    * Diatomacious Powder
    http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php
    * Spirulina
    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbak...a/premium.html
    * Chlorella
    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbak...chlorella.html

Also supplements every morning:
    * Resveratrol caplet
    * Vitamin D Gel tab, 1,000 IU per 25 lbs of body weight
    * Krill Oil Gel tab

Special foods every morning:
    ====================
    1-orange
    1/2 kiwi
    handful of grapes

Best of health to all,
    Grizz

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'd probably get a canned chicken soup with veggies in it, rather than a store bought broth.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    I doubt store-bought broth can be as good as homemade. To fully take advantage of the vitamins and minerals provided by bones, they should be cooked for 24hrs over low heat. It's a good idea to freeze broths so that you have some ready to consume at the first sign of a cold.

And as mizski said, if it's actual strep throat (and not just soreness accompanying a cold), you need to get thee to a doctor for some antibiotics.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Longtail4711 is offline Senior Member
    Put 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 4 oz of water and gargle to help the pain of the sore throat.

Also, take 4 cloves of raw garlic. I normally mix it in with tuna salad. The alicin in it (the stuff that gives it that distinctive taste and odor) is a very powerful phytoncide and it knocks out illnesses in half the time. Apple Cider Vinegar is as well, so it's helping to destroy germs when you gargle it.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Making homemade broth while stuck at college would be tricky, to say the least. If all else fails go for canned soup. I mean, it can't hurt (unless you have sodium issues already...)

(The broth in the canned variety is made from chicken carcasses, same as homebrew.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast