Thread: belly bloat or psoas issues? page

rio_sachairi is offline Member

belly bloat or psoas issues?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My abs seems strong and firm, but my belly definitely sticks out and I have a significant lumbar curve. Doesn't seem to be belly fat. No change after going without dairy for a few weeks--and I thought dairy was affecting the way my belly was sticking out. (I have no cramping or uncomfortable symptoms with the belly, other than constipation from time to time.)

Reading around the forums last night, I saw that excessive ab work (in the form of crunches) can negatively impact the deep psoas muscles, leading to the appearance of a bloated belly, constipation (because the psoas muscles are affecting the GI tract--compressing them??), and can lead to tight hips (oh do I have tight hips). I've definitely done my share of crunches recently and through the years. My husband--ripped--still has a belly that sticks out too. Not belly fat for him either. He also has lower back issues and I wonder if the psoas issue is affecting him too.

Does anyone have any exercise or stretching recommendations to help the psoas muscles while still supporting the abs? Planks? Supta vajrasana?

Thanks in advance!

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    I would say belly sticking out would be visceral fat. The fat around the organs that is hard to get rid of, especially if you are over 35.

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    Do a Google search on "anterior pelvic tilt". It's actually a common postural issue and there are plenty of corrective exercises for it.

The general way to diagnose this is to look at your waist as if you would be wearing a belt. If the belt tilts down towards the ground you have problems, if the belt would be parallel to the ground then this is not your issue.

More specifically you can palpate your ASIS and PSIS. If the ASIS is significantly lower than the PSIS then you have a case of anterior pelvic tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I would say belly sticking out would be visceral fat. The fat around the organs that is hard to get rid of, especially if you are over 35.
    We're both under 35, and I wouldn't be surprised if my husband's BF% is below 10.
    I doubt that it's visceral, but I guess that's a possibility...

Quote Originally Posted by Mav3rick View Post
    Do a Google search on "anterior pelvic tilt". It's actually a common postural issue and there are plenty of corrective exercises for it.

The general way to diagnose this is to look at your waist as if you would be wearing a belt. If the belt tilts down towards the ground you have problems, if the belt would be parallel to the ground then this is not your issue.

More specifically you can palpate your ASIS and PSIS. If the ASIS is significantly lower than the PSIS then you have a case of anterior pelvic tilt.
    Interesting. I totally match some of the google images that come up. I'll do more reading. Thanks!