Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 month of PB and I'm getting fatter! page

Hannah200 is offline Junior Member

1 month of PB and I'm getting fatter!

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I've been primal for the last 4 weeks and have read a lot of the site but this is the first time I've plucked up the courage to post. One of the motivational factors for going on this diet was to control my insulin levels - I've put on a lot of weight around my middle and as I have PCOS I am very likely insulin resistant.

I was so optimistic when I started this diet but I've actually put on weight. I've read with interest posts from other people who struggle to loose weight but they normally say they haven't lost weight on the scales but their clothes are loser, this is not the case with me. I did start weighing myself when I started the diet to track my progress but I've now stopped as last time I checked I'd put on a couple of pounds and my body fat had gone up from 29% to 38% (I don't know how accurate body fat scales are though). If I were to go by how my clothes fit, they're a bit tighter. If I were to go by appearance my stomach looks flabbier and I certainly feel more unconfortable.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be that my body is adapting to the extra fat and I'll loose weight when it gets used to it?

As to my diet, it was reading about the rosedale diet that led me here and I've still been going by his protein recommendations - 1 g per kg lean weight - for me that works out as 55g per day - not much - two boiled eggs for breakfast, half a can of tuna for lunch and a small/medium piece of meat for dinner, add in a few nuts and I end up exceeding it.

In the first two weeks I was incredibly hungry and so ate a lot of nuts, after reading more on this site I've cut them down and have stopped bringing them to work. BUT I've now replaced them with dairy as a convenient fat source (I hardly ate any dairy before). I'm eating lots of veggies and have cut down fruit, about 4 pieces a week (pretty good for me as I LOVE fruit!) I eat an avocado a day. Also in the third week I made some flax seed bread to add to my breakfats at work which just isn't filling me up (2 boiled eggs), maybe things like that should be used for maintenance not weight loss?

When I first started I was tracking on fit day and eating roughly 2000 calories a day and 70% fat.

These are what I think I could change;

Snacking - but as I mentioned my breakfast doesn't fill me up
    Dairy - but with a small amount of protein it helps as extra fat
    Nuts - cut them out alltogether?

Any advice welcome!

adam_devon is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

Hannah,

I'm new to PB myself, but wanted to make an observation.

As far as I understand PB, the macronutrients are worked out as follows:

0.7-1g protein per lb LBM - so either way that is significantly more than your 1g per kg LBM. Depending on how active you are, you could be look at 110g protein per day.

In addition you would want to be eating in the region of 50g carbohydrates per day if you're wanting to lose weight.

Then the rest of your calories are made up from fat.

I have no idea of your basal metabolic rate - if you don't know this then you can find this out online. But with the above example, you will be eating 440 calories from protein (110*4), and 200 calories from carbohydrates, which would therefore leave you x amount of calories to play with which you can use to calculate grams of fat - by working out x/9.

Does that make sense?

I would suspect that you are not eating enough protein?

Are you eating more carbohydrates that you think?

What are your activity levels?

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable posters will be over soon, and they'll sort you out good and proper.

Adam

It does make sense, thankyou. I am quite confused about the protein thing, Rosedale says any more that 1 gram per KG lean body weight will turn to glucose and I've read in the forum that other people have more success if they eat a bit less, maybe I'll add more in though, it will certainly help with the hunger! My carbohydrates are coming from my vegetables (although I imagine all the nuts I was eatingcount towards carbs too), but yes, maybe I could cut the veg down a bit especially if I up the protein

Activity wise I cycle to work and back every day (30 mins total), sprint once a week, resistance training once a week and lots of yoga. I used to do a lot of chronic cardio but haven't for about 10 months as I've been battling adrenal fatigue. I don't know my BMR but I'll have a look online.

Thanks for the reply, nice to hear from someone else in the uk!!

Hannah

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Rosedale and PB are two different plans. Which one are you following? One could do Rosedale with a Primal slant (no grains, whole, organic foods, etc.) but not a primal Rosedale. The protein amounts and types are different as are the recommendations for fats, dairy and grains. The Rosedale Diet is an excellent program but you need to follow those recommendations for it to be successful.

If you want to try PB you need to read and follow those recommendations. Based on your post with the dairy and flaxmeal bread, I'm not clear on what plan you are following. Perhaps you could clarify so we could help you better.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    I'm not suprised you're confused. I have the poster of Marks food pyramid, and at the base is says to eat veg and fruit, then meats, Then fats and at the top are herbs etc. I too put on weight if I eat too much fat as most PB seem to do. I lose weight when I eat more fruit, lean protein and of course lots of veggies but low on the fat. I think every Body is different in its composition. I now have to try to lose the weight I put on from eating too much fat. And dairy is a big no no especially for me as the dairy fat goes straight to my legs and tummy. Good luck!

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    I read somewhere that anyone can lose weight on just about any diet, but they have to commit to ONE ... that cafeteria style won't work. That's why you need to know what you value before you make any type of lifestyle change.

Although I did eat grains, they were never my "go to" choice. I noticed, about 25 years ago, that too much fruit made me shake so, despite its wonderfulness, I cut back. I literally get happy, like I took a happy pill, when I eat steak or roast beef. I prefer to eat vegetables at every meal and always have, even as a child. Cereal makes me famished about an hour after consumption. All of these (in hindsight) are an indication that the PB is right for me.

Sit back. Think. Write down: what are the foods you cannot imagine living without? Is it mental? Physical? Both? Watch yourself. What happens when you eat certain foods? Your body is talking to you, and you need to listen.

good luck!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Mizski, I started with rosedale but after 4 days changed to primal but kept Rosedale's protein amounts mainly because I read in one of the weight loss thread here a couple of people said they found weight loss easier if they kept protein at a moderate amount. I think I'll eat more according to Mark's recommendations and see what happens. The flax seed bread was really just a way to fill myself up a bit more in the mornings (it was grain free I must add, just flax and eggs). Today I brought some coconut oil in to work and put it in my green tea, that helped a lot.

Thanks Coconut, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    These kinds of threads always seem to be rooted in over-analysis to me. At least at the beginning, forget about numbers.

Eat high quality fatty foods until you are full. Wait until hungry. Repeat.

If you are really eager, cut out all the potential gotchas - cut out nuts, seeds, dairy. Eat as much protein, fat, and veggies as you want.

If breakfast doesn't "fill you up," you are either not eating enough, or eating the wrong things.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    These kinds of threads always seem to be rooted in over-analysis to me. At least at the beginning, forget about numbers.

Eat high quality fatty foods until you are full. Wait until hungry. Repeat.

If you are really eager, cut out all the potential gotchas - cut out nuts, seeds, dairy. Eat as much protein, fat, and veggies as you want.

If breakfast doesn't "fill you up," you are either not eating enough, or eating the wrong things.
    +1

Paralysis by analysis. Le sigh.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast