Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building Muscle and lean mass on PB? page

PrimalMouse is offline Member

Building Muscle and lean mass on PB?

Primal Fuel
    Hey folks, im an avid weightlifter looking to transition to the primal/paleo diet, but i want to be sure ill still be able to build lean muscle and keep body fat as low as possible while on the diet.
    Will i be able to do so?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I believe that you will. In general paleo/primal is seen as low carb, but to me the main points are avoiding grains and industrial vegetable oils. The past couple months I've added carbs (in the form of sweet potatoes or winter squash) and lowered fat on my workout days and I'm getting good results. I eat more according to the general guidelines for Primal Blueprint on non-lifting days. I'm pretty much following the Lean Gains protocol.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    effortlessly

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    You will have to eat a ton of primal food to get enough calories to build mass.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    lojasmo: a ton? most primal food is rich in fat - so its dense in calories- a ton is definately not needed. and more than about pure pluscals its about manipulating your cortisol/HGH cycles... easily done with PB, leangains style IF, and some INTELLIGENT PWO nutrition (and im definately not talking about PWO shakes here)...
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Eat plenty of meat and veggies every day, dense carb sources like yam/sweet potato post workout. Rinse repeat. If you can't get enough cals eating like this throw dairy into the mix.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Absolutely it's a great diet for weightlifting. We have a group on here and it's easy to keep your protein high and your carbs low except for when you're carb cycling. As a lifter keeping your protein high is pretty much a given. After that, if you want to stay lean, you'll need to choose between eating low carb or low fat so you can control that amount of fat that you carry. If you pick low carb then PB can work for you. I use sweet potatoes for my carb cycling.
    Just bear in mind though that if you do go low carb you may get the low carb flu for a few weeks and not be able to work out very hard if at all. Once your body does adapt then you can get back to pushing it again.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    IFing also works great in that context as well. I would highly recommend checking into Martin Berkhan's www.leangains.com if you haven't already.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    the best part about the PB for me recently has been the shorter recovery times. I have been surprising myself lately.

I fell off the Blueprint for a week due to travelling, and when i returned it took me a few days to get back to normal. A week back in, I feel lighter, bigger, faster, and stronger all at once. The gains have been awesome. The DOMS is so much less.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Your mileage may vary, but it's extremely difficult for me to put on mass with a lowish-carb (150g/day or less) diet. I've always had a pretty low appetite unless I'm eating a lot of carbs, in which case I'm hungry all the time and can easily maintain a caloric surplus. On PB, it's a daily struggle for me to eat even a maintenance level of calories. I'm always full from the fat and protein in my diet. I have to carefully plan my meals each day to assure that I eat enough to gain muscle mass -- and at least half the time I fail despite my efforts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast