Thread: School Nurse lectured me! page

Jennifer is offline Junior Member

Angry School Nurse lectured me!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My son complained of a tummy ache and went to the school nurse. He hadn't eaten his lunch and when she saw what was in it, lectured me about a "balanced" diet!!! WTH? He had three slices of turkey breast, a sting cheese, a cheddar cheese slice, and a hard boiled egg. Sometimes he has peperoni or beef jerky. She is going to be emailing a proper diet to me. How do I respond? Once communication is started they start building their case! Next thing ya know, CPS will be called! He's in first grade BTW. How do I respond to the email?!?!?! Should I just throw his meats and cheese on bread? Lie that he has celiac disease or a wheat allergy? This is just SO WRONG!

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    What about veggies and fruit?
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Jennifer is offline Junior Member
    He only likes strawberries I'm going to put in an apple tomorrow if only for looks, maybe he'll eat it.

Ignore her. If your child is healthy, active, and doing well in school they have NO BUSINESS telling you how to feed him. Tell them to look after the ADHD kids first and after they've solved that problem to talk to you.

Wow, this topic has me all het up, lol. I just WISH my school would ask, then I'd give them a copy of GCBC and say talk to me after you've read it. The government subsidized school lunch in this country is criminal.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Are you insisting your child eat that way, or is he into it? That could be an issue brought up if CPS does become involved.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Have you a copy of the school lunch menu? Would you be willing to share it? Then we can point out how unbalanced it is so you have some ammo for her. My kids school lunch is so far from balanced it is funny.

HEre is the definition of balanced diet:
    A diet that contains adequate amounts of all the necessary nutrients required for healthy growth and activity.A balanced diet is one that contains all the ingredients needed for our body to healthily continue its day to day functions in the most efficient way.
    So, how doe shte way he eats stack up? Compared to other 6 year olds? Probably quite well. I would maybe add some baby carrots and a fruit, even fried fruits would be fine, for appearances. You never know he might just start eating them if he gets enough exposure.

If your child is healthy, active, and doing well in school they have NO BUSINESS telling you how to feed him. Tell them to look after the ADHD kids first and after they've solved that problem to talk to you.
    I totally agree with this too. Plus, if the ADHD kids ate the way your son does, they probably wouldn't have ADHD either, just saying.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post

I totally agree with this too. Plus, if the ADHD kids ate the way your son does, they probably wouldn't have ADHD either, just saying.
    You might get flack for this, not sure. But for what it's worth, I pretty much agree with you. When I said that at school, though, I got the "oh, food has nothing to do with it." One lady started telling me "it can't be food. I give him all whole grains and legumes with lots of fruit. We're vegetarians."

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blank_faceplate View Post
    Are you insisting your child eat that way, or is he into it? That could be an issue brought up if CPS does become involved.
    I don't know how CPS is there but there's no way in h3ll they could make a case for abuse here for feeding a child that. I don't care if a kid is "into" it or not at that age. I'm sure they'd be into cookies if that's all you gave them but it's your responsibility as a parent to do what's best for the child. The nurse has no business whatsoever in getting involved in a child's diet unless they're obviously starving.

If you want to be nice just tell the nurse you appreciate her concern but have things under control. If you feel like being a little less nice tell her it's none of her business what your child eats.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Obviously I agree but CPS can be called for the most absurd garbage imaginable. Like the IRS, it's a hell of a lot better to stay off their radar.

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    Is this in the US? I've seen them called for actual child abuse before and do nothing so I guess I don't have much respect for them. I think it'd be an extremely difficult case for them to do much for a diet unless the kid were verrry malnourished. They'd be taking away kids left and right if they went after the fat ones alone.