Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Disappointed page

Helen Guest

I started out this challenge at 165lbs. I am five feet 2 inches tall female and 65 years of age. I have been 100% primal, if you consider using butter or glee as primal.

We go to the gym 5 days a week and workout with our trainer 3 times a week.

I have lost less then 2lbs so far! In my online journal here, I said I would not weight myself until the end of this challenge, but today in a moment of weakness I stepped on the scale only to find myself very disappointed in the results so far.

Karin Guest

You've lost 2 lbs. in 3 weeks? Hey, that's not so bad! Especially if you were active and tried to eat well even before the challenge. Besides, if you are a woman you could be retaining water (I suppose men do, to, but with women and T.O.M. sometimes it's all but inevitable). Or maybe you've lost some fat AND gained a little muscle. All i'm saying is that 2 lbs. is 2 lbs. and if you stay the course you should keep having losses...sometimes faster, sometimes slower. One thing that might help you lose weight faster is to cut back a bit on the portions of your most calorically dense foods or substitute something a little bit leaner. I'm not saying fat is bad for you, just that eating large amounts of it can lead to a surplus of calories in your diet (some Primal people say calories don't matter. I'm not trying to argue with them, just suggesting this as...food for thought).

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Two people can weigh exactly the same, yet one can be obese and the other not. IMO, what you weigh means virtually nothing compared to your body composition (fat distribution, muscle tone) and overall health. Don't go by the numbers -- go by how you look in the mirror, and how much better you feel!

Also, consider exercising less often, for shorter periods of time, and with more intensity. Too frequent exercise can be counterproductive in terms of fat loss.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Helen, frogfarm is exactly correct. This topic comes up time and again here, I've noticed in the several months I've been on it.

I even posted a thread a couple of weeks ago, cover story on TIME about the absolutely wrong effects of cardio when you want to lose weight. If TIME is getting it, why not the public? Oh yeah, we've been mislead once again by CW for the last thirty years.

Walk five or six miles a week and you'll lose weight faster. Lyle McDonald, highly respected nutritionist in the body builder community has a "pound a day" diet; there is no exercise beyond a bit of walking.

Cardio increases your demand for food and holds the fat in reserve for the pending need.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Its probably muscle weight.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

maba is offline Senior Member

Helen, I&#39;ve been primal for about 6 weeks now and I&#39;ve actually put on 1.5 pounds since the beginning of the challenge. And my scale says my body fat % has gone up. But I can see my arms getting toned and my belly shrinking, albeit very slowly. Your best bet is to use tape measure or clothes that were tight for you before you went on the challenge to see if they feel looser now.

Helen Guest

I know I am losing inches and I can see my body getting more toned, etc.... I just want the scale to reflect the progress I am making! LOL Just call it a female thing!

Catalina is offline Member

Helen, weight fluctuates, too. If that&#39;s the only time you&#39;ve weighed yourself, it could be that it was slightly lower the day before, or will be in a couple days. Your downward trend is great. . .slow but steady wins the race (and lets your skin keep up with you!).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Even low carbing, my weight constantly went up and down in a 5-pound range. I stopped sweating the number on the scales long ago.

If you want numbers to reflect your progress, I recommend keeping track of your measurements. Those never lie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast