Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baking Fruit, does it make fruit less healthy or raise the sugar? page

mcarnage is offline Junior Member

Baking Fruit, does it make fruit less healthy or raise the sugar?

Primal Fuel
    First off I am an mma fighter so I train a lot and hard, after my workouts I like to chop up an apple saute it in butter with cinnamon on a skillet and eat it with my post workout meal. I am wondering if this is a bad idea or a good idea. Does heating the fruit alter it and make it less healthy, it certainly brings out the flavor and makes it sweeter, also I am trying to loose the last tiny bit of stomach fat. I am on the verge of being ripped, I almost have a six pack and my muscles are very impressive most people would kill for my physique but recently I want to be shredded like Bruce lee.
    ALso I am under the impression that cinnamon can help lower the insulin spike, is this true? and if baking apples is bad what is the best fruit heat up?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Heating fruit will destroy much of the vitamin C. And I do wonder if a cooked apple spikes blood sugars faster than a raw apple, partly because it tends to be all mushy and almost pre-digested, vs the hard lumps of raw apple that hit the stomach? The way you cook might make a difference--I know baked potatoes spike blood sugars more than boiled potatoes.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

mcarnage is offline Junior Member
    ^Thanks, anymore input guys? Opinions? Is Liz right?

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    all I know is baked fruit tastes frickin' delicious. And I'd much rather eat sauteed peaches with cinnamon, a baked apple, or some other fruit than be tempted to make brownies or something for dessert!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Well, the only thing I'd keep in mind is that cooking fruit shrinks it down a lot, so it would be easy to consume a lot more than you would if you were eating it raw without realizing it. Of course if you're just chopping up the one apple and cooking it, that wouldn't apply.

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    And if you're eating it post-workout and as part of a meal, that in and of itself should take care of any potential blood sugar spike.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    In general cooked stuff has a higher glycemic index (speed of blood sugar spiking) than the uncooked version of same.

But if you keep in mind all the info above about how you might eat more than you plan, I'm sure you'll be fine. And good point, Tawny!

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    And if you're eating it post-workout and as part of a meal, that in and of itself should take care of any potential blood sugar spike.
    As would added fat in the form of butter, sour cream, creme fraiche, coconut oil, lard, etc.

Apples fried in bacon fat = heaven.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't know if you were the one that mentioned the apples fried in bacon fat last week or not but you're right, it's heaven!

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Nope, I saw that post too. Had to try it before I went all out carnivore. It was my 'last meal' of sorts before my first 24 hour fast and I'll be darned if it didnt do the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast