Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "White coat syndrome" page

megalodon is offline Senior Member

"White coat syndrome"

Primal Fuel
    Since embracing primality (?) in May all aspects of my overall health have improved except my Blood Pressure.

Diastolic reading is always in the 70/80 range --- no problemo but the systolic reading varies between 130/160.These are always monitored at my Docs surgery,hence the title,is this the jacking up of the systolic marker by so called WCS ?This ,quite frankly,drives me bats.Whenever i go to have it taken i get flustered starting the night before,possibly spiking up the systolic reading.

I am considering purchasing a monitor to take readings at home but would love to be able to relax at GP's surgery.

Any thoughts people?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Definitely buy a monitor--they're not that expensive. If it is white coat syndrome, you may go along way to fixing it if you are reassured that your readings are OK at home. Just make sure to use the right size cuff and take it according to the rules...things like where your arm is relative to your heart makes a difference. I have a meter at home because I've flirted with borderline blood pressures, and it's been a very useful tool for helping me figure out what spikes it and what doesn't.

Your doctor may also be less likely to push meds if you can assure him that all readings at home are normal.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    You should be able to purchase a home monitor that records previous readings too, so you can bring it with you to show the doctor that it is in a better range at home than in their office.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    You should be able to purchase a home monitor that records previous readings too, so you can bring it with you to show the doctor that it is in a better range at home than in their office.
    Agreed. I have WCS: measuring my BP at home and reporting this to the doc went a long way to assuring both of us.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    Oh i always read a high BP reading when i first arrive at the doc's office. by the time im done with my appointment she will re-read me and ill be sitting normal. i should add that she knows i have some anxiety problems too and just expects it now.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Thanks guys,appreciate the comments/advice.I shall get myself a monitor pronto.I actually had BP checked during my annual diabetic revue 2 weeks back and the nurse taking it spoke throughout and even interrupted the check to take a call.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    my last dr visit my BP was 150/98 and home is low/normal range, so yeah i am deep into the white coat syndrome. when visits are unavoidable, please do calming exercises and control your breathing, it helps

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    My doctor likes me to sit and chat with him for five minutes or more, so I'll be relaxed before he takes it. This way he avoids having the reading spike due to nerves, moving around, etc. He said it's important to be still for at least five minutes before having it read.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by megalodon View Post
    Thanks guys,appreciate the comments/advice.I shall get myself a monitor pronto.I actually had BP checked during my annual diabetic revue 2 weeks back and the nurse taking it spoke throughout and even interrupted the check to take a call.
    Yeah, that's definitely not accurate.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My BP measured at work has been between 116/68 and 130/80. Today, just as I was preparing for periodontal surgery, it was 145/97. When I asked my doc if that was accurate because that was the highest I had ever seen, he asked me where I was. I said, in a chair about to have my gums lacerated with a laser. He said, "Exactly."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast