Thread: Taubes vs Oz - The ultimate showdown! page

trobi is offline Member

Taubes vs Oz - The ultimate showdown!

Primal Fuel
    IMO, Dr. Oz is a douche. Gary Taubes is amazingly charming. And Jillian Michaels needs to chill the F out.

I wish I could have seen the full version of this when it came out.

part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEqhar40TVw
    part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNH0...573&feature=iv

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I wish Gary Taubes wouldn't be so monomaniacal. Low carb high fat diets work for weight loss for many reasons but that isn't anywhere nearthe whole story. Nowhere in any of his interviews or his book (I think, I was half asleep reading most of the carbohydrate hypothesis section) does he mention leptin resistance, the thyroid or inflammation. Hrmf.

I do love how Oz is so defensive about his conventional medical dogmas
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

isaboblue is offline Senior Member
    ah, thanks for sharing!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

trobi is offline Member
    What I love about Taubes, is that he's a journalist, and he knows it. He's not trying to shove his findings down people's throats, he's just sharing what he has learned. Dr. Oz on the other hand, can't go two sentences without mentioning his book.

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    Somewhere in Taubes' book is a passage addressing why Chinese peasants, living on mostly rice, are skinny. He says it is because they have a near constant caloric deficit. He then states that you can eat pretty much anything you want and be skinny, if you're always short on food. (All of this is based on my vague and unreliable recollections. It's been a while since I read it, but a passage something like this did stick out at the time.)

I realize that skinny is one thing and healthy is another, but in some ways I feel "work hard, don't eat much" is the real story.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    carbs do not equal constantly elevated insulin do not equal obesity...im sorry but the body is simply smarter and more complex than that.

malnutrition equals disfunctioning hormones equals chemical/nutrient imbalances equals 'body-thinks-it's-starving' equals ill gut health equals ill brain health equals inflammation equals a WIDE RANGE of metabolic disorder

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Taubes will take Oz with a fifth round KO.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    carbs do not equal constantly elevated insulin do not equal obesity...im sorry but the body is simply smarter and more complex than that.

malnutrition equals disfunctioning hormones equals chemical/nutrient imbalances equals 'body-thinks-it's-starving' equals ill gut health equals ill brain health equals inflammation equals a WIDE RANGE of metabolic disorder
    At least in healthy people. If all of that inflammation is going on carbs can keep insulin high all day and produce serum triglycerides to interfere with leptin signaling, so I can see how low carb works. Whether or not people should just fix the damage instead of restricting carbs is another story. I think that there is a lot right with low carb so long as it is nutrient sufficient and isn't Atkins-esque with conventional bacon, eggs and peanutbutter at every meal.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Neither have any real power.....it's a bitch slapping fest.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefgerry View Post
    Neither have any real power.....it's a bitch slapping fest.
    Oh, did they both turn on Jillian? I must have missed that part.

(She is a dreadful woman)
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)