Thread: Another no-carb runner page

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Primal Fuel

Looked for a previous topic to hang this one but didn't see one. Just wanted to point out that Charles Washington isn't the only zero-carb runner; Ana Gjesdal is allergic to gluten and "runs more miles per week - an average of 80 - than almost anyone on the team". The original article is inaccessible, but Google still has a cache:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Cool article. Thanks!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Since they did not go into any detail about her diet, she could still carb load even though she has celiac. All gluten free flours are loaded with carbs, and sugars are home free yet still carbs.

I'd love to know what she does other than not eat pasta.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

True, OTB. I blame my quickness on the draw rather than my degree of zealotry I did some more searching and found a more recent article:

http://www.dyestatcal.com/news/xc2005New/November/17Gjesdal.html

"I am gluten intolerant, which is a condition I was diagnosed with last fall. Basically, any wheat product, rye, barley, etc. and a lot of packaged foods contain gluten, so I eat very similarly to the Zone or Paleo diet (lots of vegetables, fruit, meat, nuts, eggs, cottage cheese). It gets pretty expensive, probably about $350 a month in groceries, but I feel a million times better than I did before I figured out what was wrong. Eating on the road is horrible though, probably my least favorite thing to do. We always go to Italian places the night before meets, and I obviously can't eat pasta. I also have to ask what they baste the meat with, because chances are flour is involved. It is a big pain."

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Nice to see that. I've entered a 15K in December (I've run a couple of 10Ks this year and plan to do another in October). I'm not a chronic cardio queen but I like the odd (slow) run and the 15K is for a Stroke charity, and both my parents have had strokes so I feel it's a good thing to do.

I managed almost 8 miles yesterday after a week of very low carb, and it wasn't so bad. It took me 90 minutes though!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for the update, frogfarm.