Thread: Do I have diabetes? page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Do I have diabetes?

Shop Now
    Hi Friends,

I've had a number of health issues over the last three years, but I won't get into all of them. I'm just now investigating whether I might have diabetes. I've been eating primal since January, and the usual blood test for glucose came back within normal range, which isn't surprising seeing as I eat low carb. I'm wondering whether it's possible to get a proper test done for diabetes when eating low carb. I have all the classic symptoms very badly right now-especially thirst-and I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself about it. Just when I thought I had things under control with the thyroid...

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    A glucose tolerance test may be advisable.See your Doc and listen to what he/she has to say.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Beauty,

Dr. Davis recommends that everyone on a low carb diet get the Lifescan One Touch Ultra Mini blood glucose meter. Then measure your blood glucose 1 hour after your meal. Full details here:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...-you-must.html

Grizz

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beauty View Post
    Hi Friends,

I've had a number of health issues over the last three years, but I won't get into all of them. I'm just now investigating whether I might have diabetes. I've been eating primal since January, and the usual blood test for glucose came back within normal range, which isn't surprising seeing as I eat low carb. I'm wondering whether it's possible to get a proper test done for diabetes when eating low carb. I have all the classic symptoms very badly right now-especially thirst-and I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself about it. Just when I thought I had things under control with the thyroid...
    Just FYI: Many of the "classic" symptoms of diabetes are the "classic" symptoms of a whole bunch of conditions.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    If you had diabetes to the extent of being badly symptomatic, I really doubt you'd have a false negative test. I'm assuming you had a fasting blood glucose test.

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that's right, I had a fasting blood glucose test. Yeah, I know these are symptoms that could be related to other things. They are: thirst, dry skin, dry and itchy mucus membranes, hot burning painful feet, fatigue, brain fog, aches and pains. I should say, it's become worse since I increased my carbs. The obvious thing to do is to decrease them again, eh? But really, why should carbs around 100g cause this?!?! Anyway, it might be that I'm still adjusting to taking thyroid hormone replacement. But my intuition is that it's something else. As I fix one thing in my body, the other problems reveal themselves. I'm trying to get it all sorted once and for all while I'm still youngish (31), otherwise I'm in for trouble! My doctor is the good kind who doesn't pretend to know what's going on, but takes my symptoms seriously. He and I both are open to suggestions.