Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk? page

jeremy is offline Junior Member

Milk?

Primal Fuel
    My three kids love milk, I have been buying whole milk because I thought it had less sugar and more fat than 1% or 2%. This came up at one of the kids doctors appointments and the doctor said if they are going to drink milk it shouldnt be whole milk. Just wondering if anyone knew if I am wrong in my thinking and should start buying 1 or 2%

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Did the doctor tell you why? Let me put some words into his mouth. "Whole milk is high in fat." As if that's supposed to scare you.

doug is offline Member
    The doctor is wrong. Children need more fat/cholesterol for brain development. Not less.

Like Grumpy said probably thinking its too high in fat. Surprised doctors haven't tried to ban breast feeding with all the fat the poor babies are being subjected to.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    And unpasteurized farm fresh milk is probably best of all. I don't go for the lower percentage milks either.

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Drink only whole raw milk.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I am a reformed milk drinker myself. The dairy industry had to lay off a cow when I quit drinking milk like I used to (which was before I actually went primal). I put milk in things now, but I almost never drink milk directly anymore. At one point I would have at least one glass of milk with all three meals that I ate every day.
    Bossy has been put out to pasture now and is enjoying her retirement. I get a card from her once in a while.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Here's an extreme example of what skimmed milk can do.

Weston Price tells the story of a little boy who was fed on skimmed milk and white bread by his parents. He suffered from convulsions. He also fractured his femur after falling in a convulsion and there was no healing for sixty days.

A priest called Price in. He'd been asked to baptize the child as it was expected he'd die. Price made sure the kid got whole milk - and some extra butter. the convulsions stopped, and the leg healed in thirty days. Story - and X-rays - here:

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_lib...e/price15.html

That's not an effect of skimmed milk, of course, so much as an effect of a diet that is inadequate overall. But there's nothing adequate at all about skimmed milk. That story's a stark illustration of that. The fat is where the fat-soluble vitamins are.

There's no dairy is in Professor Cordain's "Paleo" diet. However, small children can't utilize the minerals you get in plants as well as adults can. And in hunter-gatherer communities children would have been given breast milk till two or three. So I'd have thought they ought to get milk if they're able to take it, and that milk should be full fat - or even with extra cream.

I can hardly believe that doctors are now trying to foist dangerous low-fat diets on children. But it's happening:

Malnutrition, once associated with slums, is said to have become an increasing problem for middle-class families over the past 15 years. The victims of so-called "muesli-belt malnutrition"are at risk of stunted growth, anaemia, learning difficulties, heart disease and diabetes.

Nutrition expert Dr Andrew Hill says that he has seen cases of malnourished children after parents fed them with skimmed milk or low-energy products rather than full-fat milk when they were weaned.

"Young growing infants they need full fat milk until they are at least four or five years old," said Dr Hill, senior lecturer in behavioural sciences at Leeds University.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/mu...n-1160104.html

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    And unpasteurized farm fresh milk is probably best of all. I don't go for the lower percentage milks either.
    Its a way for dairy companies to make more money. That watery shit you call skim milk is what dairy farmers used to feed to the pigs because it was unsellable.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I just went through this with my kids doctor. My wife comes home and says next time she is just going to lie to the doctor so she doesn't the low fat lecture again. I guess my 5 year old is above average weight for her age. She is note close to being fat, is about 5 inches taller than the other kids in her class, and can go up a rock wall like nobodys business. I was there when she said the same about my 2 year and I said "but you can also see her ab muscle, so are you saying she is fat?" No answer. Some doctors go by numbers and stats and CW regardless of what is actually in front of them.

I would get the raw milk, but in Florida it is illegal to sell for human consumption.

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    Here's a great article on raw milk vs pasteurized. Basically, don't drink pasteurized milk in any %.
    The Biochemical Magic of Raw Milk

Also, Mark's take:
    The Definitive Guide to Dairy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast