Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here used Primal to help with ED recovery? page

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member

Anyone here used Primal to help with ED recovery?

Primal Fuel
    I just wanted to ask since I know I've seen ED posts here before. I've got a pretty severe case of bulimia, anorexia and just disordered eating out the ying yang. I know part of it is my super-ultra carb intolerance- carbs just make me crazy and bingey and out of control. So I know that going low carb will help me.

It can't be my entire treatment, obviously. I have a counsellor, and I'm going to hit OA meetings and get a sponsor and all that stuff. But I wanted to ask people here if they've gotten any help with EDs from Primal.

I do know that I can't even think clearly on carbs, so eating Primal will help me be at least clearheaded enough to even deal with therapy.

Just curious about other people's experiences, and looking for some good news and inspirational stories.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I have suffered with ED for most of my life - mainly anorxia and binging. After going low-carb on May 1, nearly all of my binge eating seems to have disappeared. I do stress eat as well and am getting a lot better at recognizing when I'm falling into a stress-mode. I'm working on changing my thought patters and behaviors (i.e. take a walk, drink a huge glass of water, deep breathe, etc.) and it's working better each time. I did find myself entering a binge on dry roasted almonds so I have put them on the top shelf where I can't easily reach them.

So, eating primal/low carb has definitely helped me gain better control over my ED and I hope to achieve full peace with food some time soon.

Darlena

batty is offline Senior Member
    i think that there are a lot of us here. i can't say that going PB has completely cleared me of my issues, but they have improved. i am sure the combination of the PB and therapy will do you wonders.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    I've heard other people mention that nuts are a trigger food for binging. I can say myself that while I tend to binge on carbs exclusively (I sure don't binge on, say, a pound of salmon or five steaks, right? lol) I did go through a period where I'd overeat nuts- cashews, almonds, etc. They're an allergy food for me anyway, so I took them out of my diet. But that's interesting that they tend to trigger binging. I guess they have some carbs as well as fat and protein.

I feel less freaked out knowing that other people have gotten some relief from overeating from going low carb. I really suspect that there's something innate about CARBS that just makes you overeat.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that LC has helped other people. So far, I do notice that when I take fruit carbs out of my diet (and supplement with omega 3s, that seems to make a real difference), I just DON'T have the blood sugar crashes I usually do- and when I don't have blood sugar crashes, I don't binge.

I'm not sure what the official CW opinion is about low carb for hypoglycemia, particularly for hypoglycemia+ bulimia/anorexia, in my case. But so far it seems to help.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    I think it's not too far fetched to make an analogy between an emotional binge eater and a binge smoker. It's increasingly clear that, in some cases, carbs can be addictive, so for some (me included), a low or vlc diet makes sense when trying to get a grip on their appetite. I rarely have the urge to binge on any type of food, and I attribute this to being a LC Primal for around 3 years now. It would seem that the more time that passes, the more stable my eating habits become. Some primal carbs such as tubers, squash, etc don't trigger chronic hunger in me anymore. I do second the nut statement though. I have trouble not binging on them, they are just too good...
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by batty View Post
    i think that there are a lot of us here. i can't say that going PB has completely cleared me of my issues, but they have improved. i am sure the combination of the PB and therapy will do you wonders.
    You know what they do over here for folk diagnosed with an ED? They stick 'em on APs or AA meds! What's the number one side effect of that type of medication? Weight gain! Yep, like that's REALLY gonna help someone with an ED feel better about themselves, isn't it...?!

I can't believe the mentality of most GPs, shrinks and psychologists over here, I really can't. I'm FIRMLY convinced that most are in the pay of the drug companies - I really can't come up with another credible explanation.
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    It's definitely helped, and I'd even go as far as to say that it's totally reset my hunger signals. Even when I do eat something shitty, I don't get hit with that urge to binge out.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Having been down the path of food obsession, bulemia, anorexia and compusive overeating, I can say from experience that a ketosis and ketoadaptation, in combination with nutrient density has been very helpful for me.

My whole life I've obsessed on 'what is the next thing I can eat'....while i was rarely hungry, I was *always* eating - sometimes emotionally and sometimes simply because I love food. But I was *always* eating. Well except for a couple of years in there when I wasn't eating.

Anyway, breaking the sugar/carb addiction was a top tier priority. For me, 'regular' counseling was not helpful at all and was possibly counterproductive.

What I found helpful:
    -stopping sugar/carbs for awhile. if a craving was hitting, I gave myself permission to eat unlimited fatty meat and non-starchy veggies while in the process of breaking the carb/sugar addiction. I did get a bit binge-y at first even with meat and veggies but eventually it just resolved on it's own.
    -being too busy to binge/obsess
    -cognitive behavioral strategies
    -having important, meaningful work
    -planning ahead with food (having appropriate food in the house and having it *prepared*)
    -treated my ADHD with stimulant medication
    -supported my physical and mental well-being with vitamins, minerals, amino acids and essential fatty acids (orthomolecular treatment) to manage mood stability.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    My whole life I've obsessed on 'what is the next thing I can eat'....while i was rarely hungry, I was *always* eating - sometimes emotionally and sometimes simply because I love food. But I was *always* eating. Well except for a couple of years in there when I wasn't eating.

Anyway, breaking the sugar/carb addiction was a top tier priority.
    This is me to a tee. Cutting grains and sugars and learning to listen to my body is key, and some days are better than others but overall I have definitely come a long way. It's a constant journey and I don't think I'll ever get to the proverbial destination, but the journey is definitely getting smoother and more enjoyable.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Cillakat, you described exactly what it has been like for me as well. Eating primal allowed me to break the cycle after a few months, at first I did want to binge on primal stuff until I learned my triggers. Now, I feel so free from all the craziness that took over my head for so many years (like 15 years!). I'm still in awe when I forget to eat or can walk/drive past food stuff that I would have been compelled to eat before and I feel no desire. It's like I have been able to opt out of this madness that I can see that so many people are trapped in and it feels wonderful

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast