Thread: Sample Mealplan - Hypothyroid Active 34 year old woman - HELP! page

eobrien is offline Junior Member

Sample Mealplan - Hypothyroid Active 34 year old woman - HELP!

Hi all - so I am new to this eating plan - having tried ... like everything. You name it. I have been on a long journey - and this just feels right. Makes sense. But I am struggling with the whole notion of NOT counting calories or fat - and calories in/vs. out theory. I don't want to lose or gain - but am prone to gaining being hypothyroid. I am a runner - run daily.
    what are your thoughts on an appropriate mealplan/ideas for me?

Thank you so much! erica

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Hi! Fellow hypo here, if you click my link in my siggy you will see at teh bottom of my blog what this way of eating has done for me

As for how to eat. I follow the eat when I am hungry plan. I usually end up at the 50/30/20 ranges with fat being 50%, protein being 40% and carbs being 20% of my total. Of course it is a fluid thing and somedays I have 60% fat.

I eat usually eggs and some meat for breakfast. I still eat fruits and veggies, more veggies than fruits. I eat meat, nuts and seeds. I try not to get too religous about it all. When I am hungry I eat, when I am not hungry I don't eat. When I first started I ate a lot of fruit and still lost weight. I started in August though, which is fruit season. As the year went on I ate less fruit.

THe important thing is to eat real food, avoid grains, beans and potatoes. Only eat things that make you feel good. If you follow those simple priciples you will be just fine

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'm a hypo myself, albeit 5 years younger. It's done wonders for me.
    My typical day:
    Breakfast: I don't eat until I get hungry, which is usually around noon. So breakfast is 2- 3 20 oz mugs of tea.
    Lunch: Meat and veggies, e.g. HUGE salad with leftover meat on it, stir fry, tortilla soup (no tortillas or corn) and salad, leftovers
    Dinner: Same as lunch, meat and veg. Crockpot roasts, philly salads, zucchini lasagna, Crustless quiche, burgers, steaks...
    Dessert: berries and whipped heaven (5:3 ratio heavy whipping cream and mascarpone or cream cheese, whipped like whipped cream), 85% chocolate, some sort of sauteed fruit concoction
    I very rarely snack, but when I do it's leftover meat, bacon, or a hard cooked egg or a couple lettuce leaves.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

eobrien is offline Junior Member
    Thank you both so much. This is great. I tend to gain weight looking at food - which led me down many a destructive path. But I am hoping this helps sets me on the right path. My stomach has been a mess since starting this journey - and I did toy with IF in the beginning - but that just made matters worse - so I am trying to stick to pure Primal for a few weeks and see if I can 'regulate' things - and then move from there. It's nice to know I am not alone Thanks again.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    *Shameless plug* Look at the "advice for newbies" thread. I really think it might help.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I've been hypo for 10 years and struggled with my weight and other health issues most of that time. My suggestions include:
    1. Look at PB as a lifestyle that can and will help you be as healthy as possible--not as a diet, for weight loss.
    2. Follow the plan as Mark explains it.
    3. Eat real food and enough to be satisfied.
    4. For your metabolism to work properly, being hypo, you need to be optimally medicated and allow your body time to heal.Weight may be a struggle until this happens.
    5. Lowering carbs under 50grams/day long term has the potential to cause problems with T4 to T3 conversion.
    6. Some foods are goitrogens and may need to be eaten cooked or avoided. YMMV.

Since going low carb and then primal I've gotten healthier. A perk that came from my healthy living has been a 67lb decrease in body weight.
    Last edited by marcadav; 09-28-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling

ScarlettMoon is offline Member
    I've been Hypo for almost six years, and have been on a roller-coaster- until I found primal! I no longer stress about the amount of food I eat, I just follow the plan, and eat plenty of real food. Lots of meat, fats, veggies and fruits, and I have lost 37 lbs. I'm back to the same weight I was at 18, and I'm 43 now. After I went primal for a while, I had another thyroid test done, and I came back with my first normal thyroid results in five years. It's amazing!!

Jason VT is offline Senior Member