Thread: Can someone explain this to me (taken from The Warrior Diet Myths List) page

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield

Question Can someone explain this to me (taken from The Warrior Diet Myths List)

Primal Fuel
    Someone mentioned TWD in a thread on IF, and it intrigued me, so I Googled it. The following is an extract from Ori's Top 10 Diet Myths list. I'm not sure I understand it - I thought it had been decided that carbs were responsible for obesity...? It uses big words, and I don't do big words when me brain's addled...

Diet Fallacy #5: CARBS Are Your Enemy

Carbs are currently regarded as the culprit for the on going epidemic of overweight, obesity and their related disease. It has been commonly assumed that carbs are not essential nutrients and therefore could be severely restricted or even spared. Low carb diet advocates argue that insulin is a fat gain promoting hormone and therefore should be tightly controlled by chronically restricting carbs. Due to the current popularity of low carb diets, it seems as if carbs are the enemy. But are they? As you'll soon see, nothing could be so far from the truth.

Let's examine the assumption that carbs are not essential nutrients. This assumption literally fails to recognize the two most critical biological functions of carbs (besides being a fuel):

1. The activation of the pentose phosphate pathway (PPP)
    2. The finalization of growth hormone (GH) and insulin like growth factor (IGF1) actions, as well as the enhancement of androgens actions.

Let's cover briefly the importance of the above functions. The pentose phosphate pathway (PPP) is a critical process that is responsible for the synthesis of DNA, RNA and all energy molecules including ATP and NADPH, needed for all metabolic functions in particular, recuperation (healing of tissues), immunity and growth. In addition, the PPP is a precursor for another metabolic pathway-(i.e. the uronic acid pathway) responsible for steroid hormones transport, production of proteoglycans (essential for connective tissue and cellular signaling), synthesis of spingolipids (lipids that are necessary for neural protection) and over all detoxification. The pentose phosphate pathway, which occurs mostly in the liver, is derived from glucose (i.e. carb metabolism). Now, here is the problem...

In times of a desperate need for energy, such as during prolonged starvation or due to chronic severe restriction of carbs, the PPP would shut down its main function and instead switch into sheer energy production. It is likely that energy demand is a top priority for the body and therefore, in times of a desperate need for energy, the body would suppress certain important metabolic function (such as the PPP) to accelerate immediate energy production. Note that 30% of glucose oxidation in the liver can occur via the PPP.

One may argue that glucose can be synthesized from fat or protein. Yes, but not enough! Since the synthesis of glucose from fat or protein (gluconeogenesis) is actually a very limited metabolic process that occurs mostly in the liver, any severe restriction of carbs, in particular for active individuals, may adversely suppress the PPP critical functions; due to insufficient glucose supply during an increased energy demand.

The PPP actions also decreases with age, a fact that may contribute to the decline in steroid hormone production and the typical muscle waste, that is associated with aging.

To sum up this part, dietary carbs are necessary for the full activation of the PPP and its critical functions. Severe chronic carb restriction (below 70g-100g for an active individual) may lead to an adverse suppression of PPP, with an overall decline in sex hormones, compromised immunity, impaired growth and accelerated aging.

As noted, besides playing a vital role in the activation of the PPP actions, dietary carbs also help finalize the actions of the most anabolic agents including growth hormone, IGF1 and the sex steroid hormones.

Studies at Stanford University in CA and Helsinki University in Finland revealed that insulin is a potent promoter of IGF1 and the sex hormones action. Researcher found that insulin help finalize the anabolic actions of GH, IGHF1 and androgens by down regulating certain proteins that suppress both IGF1 and androgens action, in particular in the muscle tissue, (i.e. IGHFBP-1 and SHBP, respectively). A recent study at the University of Texas, indeed proved that post exercise carb supplementation together with essential amino acids profoundly stimulates net muscle protein synthesis.

Interestingly, simple carbs had a more profound effect on enhancing anabolic actions after exercise than complex carbs. Nonetheless, as a general rule, our body is better adapted to utilize complex carbs than simple carbs. Again, it is when you eat that makes what you eat matter.

In conclusion, dietary carbs biological functions go far beyond just sheer energy production. Chronic carb restrictions may lead in the long run to total metabolic decline with severe consequences on survival (i.e. capacity to regenerate tissues and procreate). Carbs are not the enemy, ignorance is. Top
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Dan Rivera is offline Member
    It means chill out about going super low carb for extended periods of time.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Ah right. Gotcha. It woz all those long wordy things which got me. I don't do long wordy things. Bear of little brian me...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rivera View Post
    It means chill out about going super low carb for extended periods of time.
    Excellent summary! LOL!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    I thought it had been decided that carbs were responsible for obesity...?
    It depends what kind of carbs you're talking about. Fructose/sucrose spike insulin, which is a fat storage hormone, so that's why you can get fat from eating cheesecake and lard-fried donuts dipped in sugar, but not necessarily from eating lard alone. If you're talking about grains and potatoes, these may not spike insulin as badly as fructose and sucrose do, but they are mostly starches (glucose) and don't have many if any of the nutrients your body needs (and in the case of wheat, at least, have anti-nutrients). Not getting proper nutrition (and getting lots of anti-nutrition) puts stress on your body and your body's most common reaction to stress is to store fat. That's why you can get fat eating a diet rich in bread and pasta without also eating enough fresh fruit and vegetables and clean meat. Of course, after a big plate of spaghetti, who has room for veggies?

It uses big words
    POW! Right in the kisser.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm an advocate of moderate carb intake, but I still think there are some holes in this text. Inuit eskimos have lived on basically zero carb for extended periods of time. Ok maybe not 0 carb, but with just trace amount of carbs.

Also: "The pentose phosphate pathway, which occurs mostly in the liver, is derived from glucose" it appears the author is implying one cannot produce glucose without consuming carbohydrates, which is blatantly false. It may not be beneficial to derive glucose from protein, but it's darn well possible.

Last but not least: "insulin help finalize the anabolic actions of GH, IGHF1 and androgens" proteins also spike insulin, especially beef and dairy proteins. I'm also sure insulin levels arent going to be 0 on a 100% fat diet, because they aren't 0 when fasting either.

It is very commonly known that carb + protein stimulates muscle growth pwo, and indeed more than protein alone. You will probably be just fine on only protein, and the entire debate might be irrelevant if your main focus is trying to lose weight, which is the case most people pursuing a ketogenic diet, instead of focusing on muscle gains.

The last comment about ignorance just makes me want to punch the author in the face for having such a superior attitude.