Thread: I guess I'll be IF'ing this afternoon and maybe tomorrow page

kcult is offline Senior Member

I guess I'll be IF'ing this afternoon and maybe tomorrow

Primal Fuel
    I'm having periodontal surgery in a couple of hours. Two wisdom teeth will be extracted (one is impacted) and my gums will be peeled back, shot with lasers and hopefully will stick to my teeth once they heal. Recovery should be awesome.

After 24 years without a visit to the dentist, it was found that although I had no cavaties, I did have bone loss from periodontal disease. I really set myself up for an experience.

In my consultation, my Doc said the number one reason for cavaties and gum disease was sugar. The number two reason being genetics. So, I've been blessed with the genes and I've been a sugar eater for years. Time to pay the piper.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    I feel for you - I had 12 (count 'em TWELVE!!! ) teeth removed about a year ago (I had no access to a dentist for many, many years - there are no NHS dentists round here and I can't afford to go private). I had to go all the way to the dental hospital in Liverpool to have it done - I had fixed in less than a fortnight something which I'd had to endure for nearly 15 YEARS!!

We don't have anything as fancy as lasers here, though - it was all dissolvable stitches.

No trouble with me peggies since going primal - it's not just sugars, it's grains! Anything that adheres to your gnashers on which the plaque bacteria can feast!

Good luck with it all, mate - hope it goes well for you!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    No extractions, but I do have 13 crowns--bad genetics and years of healthy whole grain---pffft. Since going PB, enamel is stronger and the gums are getting healthier (though the hygienist insists it's the 4x per year cleaning, I know it's mostly the eating). Sure wish I'd known about primal earlier.

Good luck with the surgery and the forced IFing.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Well, it was no where near as bad as I thought. In fact, I probably could have gone to work today.

The Conscious Sedation was awesome, although I could still hear the wisdom tooth being pulled out. The laser surgery on my gums I don't remember, but instead of a mouth full of bloody gauze, I have what looks and feels like hardened chewing gum lining the bottoms of both top and bottom rows of teeth on my right side. Before I left, I heard the doc tell my Dad that as far as eating, I could even eat steak that night if I wanted. Wow. Of course, I opted for Greek yogurt because I wasn't in the mood for serious chewing. I am a little miffed that he didn't remove the impacted wisdom tooth. He gave me the impression that he would, but he's going to refer me to an oral surgeon for that. Grrr. That means at least three surgeries instead of the original two.

Right now I'm on Darvocet and Ibuprofen for pain and the anitbiotic Cephalexin, but either the pain meds work that great or there wasn't much pain to begin with.

Thought I would share.