Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone successfully treated a yeast (candida) infection? page

racingsnake is offline Senior Member

Has anyone successfully treated a yeast (candida) infection?

Hi all

Due to unexplained symptoms over the last few months (itching, gut discomfort and other dodginess, problems sleeping, nausea, fatigue etc every couple of weeks), I'm starting to wonder if I have a yeast overgrowth problem.

The trouble is, after years of being 'nutritionistalized' I'm sort of sceptical of the whole thing as it seems to be trotted out as a reason for everything. Plus, I've never seen a definitive test for it.

This isn't to say I don't believe in it - it is clearly a problem for some people, and I understand can even be life threatening in those who are immune compromised, but I don't want to jump into trying to treat something unless I am sure it is a problem.

So I'm wondering if anyone out there has successfully:

1) Identified that they have a yeast / candida overgrowth problem and
    2) Treated it so that they no longer need treatment and do not get relapses

From the research I've done I seem to do a lot right already diet-wise - I eat no sugar, no fruit, and low carbs, but over the last couple of months have done a few 'carb refeeding' days with high paleo carbs like sweet potato and yam, which I guess may have set things off.

I've had a lot of experience trying this and that for one problem or another, and that has taught me that it's always a good idea to go into a trial knowing exactly what you are looking for, as far as possible. If I go ahead and use natural anti-fungals like coconut oil or caprylic acid, am I expecting to feel worse from die-off first, and then better? And if that's right, is there any rough guide to how long that would be likely to take?

This might sound a little obsessive, but I don't want to take something that is doing me damage (my gut is a little touchy to say the least) and continue taking it with the thought that "it's just die off" when in fact it's me that's dying off!

Thanks in advance for any experience you can help me with.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    One easy way to 'test' for yeast imbalance is to do a saliva test. Just google candida saliva test......essentially you spit into a cup of water in the morning. Easy and inexpensive

For me, the road to battle yeast has been LONG for me (a lifetime of problems and about 6 yrs of experimentation and diets all over the place). Am I cured? Not sure, but I am certainly 500 times better then I was.

I feel like I have been dealing with the chicken and the egg syndrome. Was the yeast problems what caused all my gut problems, food intolerance, and chronic pain? OR, was the food intolerance (grain) what caused the imbalances that made the yeast a secondary issue? Or to add to it, I realized I was a person who stored up tension and stress...so was it emotional imbalances that caused the whole shebang in the first place?

Who knows really....I have learned over the years to instead focus on doing all the right things on all levels as best I can. Deal with the emotional stuff, eat the right foods consistently over a long period of time (when it comes to yeast or repairing the gut balance, a month of the right food does not heal), surround myself with balanced positive people, and stay active and take the right supplements to provide the best environment for healing. In the end, yeast or not, these are all good things to do. So I eventually stopped focusing on candida and focused on just living a full life and putting my health as a top priority. Finding Primal just gave me back up on why eating the way I did worked .

Good luck!!

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member
    I am battling a yeast infection right now. Its tough. I highly recommend you take a look at Bee's site, it has very good information on how to kill candida.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    One easy way to 'test' for yeast imbalance is to do a saliva test. Just google candida saliva test......essentially you spit into a cup of water in the morning. Easy and inexpensive.

Yes, Meadow, and I'm afraid complete BS. It was dreamt up by a company called Global Health Trax to persuade people to sign up to its MLM scheme for its anti-candida probiotic ThreeLac (which has now been banned in several countries, and I believe that the FDA are looking at it with renewed scrutiny).

For more info, watch this: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6iryzPoBow

Okay, he's kinda peddling his own company, but the info in the video's perfectly valid.

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Why would they ban Threelac? It only contains good bacteria.

groquette is offline Senior Member
    At one point I had a pap smear which showed a candida overgrowth (standard labs, I think. The doctor was conventional wisdom all the way). I was given a prescription for Diflucan, and the issue does not appear to have persisted. I don't know if changing to a primal diet has been a factor, though it is entirely possible (no sugar, no grains for several months, then occasional sugar/grain lapses).

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Why would they ban Threelac? It only contains good bacteria.
    Read this http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com...lacreview.html. I do believe that it is still banned in Oz (maybe one of the Aussie posters can confirm this...?)
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Melody is offline Senior Member
    I have mine mostly under control. It took working with a naturopath who specialized in canndida overgrowth treatment. I'm like a million times better than 2 years ago. My yeast caused a host of seemingly unrelated symptoms.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    diet diet diet! the yeast is there for a reason. i completely agree w bee wilders theory of pathogens being the clean up crew (although i can't say i agree on everything she says). obviously there are some nut. deficiencies as well as too many refined foods in the diet now or in the past. i completely rid mine w diet and coconut oil alone. yes, it took a lil while but i'm 100% now. i stick w lots of fat, low carbs, berries only occasionally and i feel SO much better! never tried the prescription anti fungals, i figure those are too harsh on an already 'weak' system. and finally yes, you probably will feel worse before you feel better but it won't be too bad ( i assume because your symptoms don't look too severe). and it looks like you're already following the protocol now so it shouldn't be too much longer. sorry so long, i just know first hand what a pain in the arse yeast can be. you'll be fine. oh, ditch dairy if you're still eating it.
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
    Read this http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com...lacreview.html. I do believe that it is still banned in Oz (maybe one of the Aussie posters can confirm this...?)
    Meh.. don't really see anything in here to scare me off Threelac. I've heard enough people say that it's the only product that worked for them to have some faith in it. Remember the FDA have banned stevia as a sweetener too, and approved numerous drugs that have turned out to be dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast