It is 2 months since I adjusted my diet to eliminate grains and starchy carbs and started High Intensity Training.

Blood pressure is lower.

Weight is lower by 15 lbs.

That is the important news. Iíve probably learned more about nutrition and exercise in the past 2 months than what I have learned in the past 30 years.

I think the most important information Iíve digested is the key to eliminating the grains and what I call the starchy carbs. Fitday.com for me has been a great learning tool. For me it has been a learning experience see what foods provide you with what cals, macro groups and I also watch the RDA/AI graph. Iím keeping an eye on my vitamin and mineral intake. I do ignore the carbs and fibre portion of the chart.

Iíve done daily input and print off end of month summaries. Iím looking for a trend down in carbs, and alcohol.

The exercise portion had been an exciting trip. Iíve never lifted before and watching my gains as well as just doing things I havenít had the endurance and strength since I was a young adult is a great feeling.

Educationally Iíve learned how heavy weights and low reps add fast twitch muscle. This not only improves strength but goes hand in hand with breaking down insulin resistance, which is a key component in weight loss. The other part Iíve learned and practice is lifting only once a week.

One of my biggest surprises came on Sunday. Three weeks ago my wife took my measurements. We checked them again on Sunday. No surprise that my dimensions were shrinking as I burn fat off. A pleasant surprise was a 2 inch gain on my forearm circumference.

ďIn the high-intensity training community we have been quite vocal about the problems attending too much volume and too much frequency, but have turned a rather blind eye toward the issue of intensity. I believe now that too much intensity can be just as detrimental to oneís continued progress as too much volume; once you cross the threshold necessary to impart stimulation to your muscles to grow, going beyond this point may (for a good many people) simply prolong oneís recovery period without necessarily stimulating more in the way of size or strength gains.

I think weíve addressed this issue quite thoroughly in Body By Science. This is not to suggest that more intense techniques arenít useful and even necessary, I just donít think a steady diet of them is conducive to long-term progress and can serve to tap out our limited reserves of recovery ability. These techniques need to be viewed within the bigger context of stimulus-response.Ē Ė John Little

More of my studies on exercise will be devoted to Johnís quote above.

The first week of November Iíll be hunting. Iíll my do last lift Oct 23. That should put me in prime condition for a week of trekking through the bush.