Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runners Injury ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome) Inflammation Increasing page

livestrongsean is offline Junior Member

Question Runners Injury ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome) Inflammation Increasing

Shop Now
    Back in 2003 I over-trained, ran a marathon through injury and caused a (now life-long according to some doctors) chronic ITBS syndrome. For those unfamilier, it is basically inflammation of a tendon that runs from your hip to your knee on the side of your leg (it stabilizes your knee) and is a common issue in runners with naturally tight tendons. Throughout the years of PT and pain control methods, I get inflammation in my leg almost every time I do something active. I always end up having to ice and do a "foam roll" session (physical therapy) to reduce pain levels.

I have now been on the primal blueprint for 30 days. I was hoping the blueprint would help REDUCE inflammation. Unfortunately, it has INCREASED substantially. I have not increased my training. In fact, I decreased allowing my body time to adjust to the primal blueprint.

Why did my inflammation increase?

Any thoughts on how I can get rid of this inflammation after all these years? I do not want to take any drugs or pop any pills.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Just to clarify, are you just saying that your daily level of pain has increased or do have other inflammatory symptoms? Just curious. Interested to see any answers others can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPoke2320 View Post
    Just to clarify, are you just saying that your daily level of pain has increased or do have other inflammatory symptoms? Just curious. Interested to see any answers others can provide.
    My daily level of pain has increased, even though my activity level decreased.

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    I too had IT band issues during my first marathon (was not eating primal then) and yoga cured me. I know that's not the answer to your question regarding inflammation but I would strongly(!) encourage that you work in one to two hours of yoga a week.

Darlena

I was a cross country runner and 400/800 runner in high school and had itbs the entire time. Terrible, worst pain ever, back and gone, most annoying thing in the world.

Barefoot with vibrams and all barefoot solved it like it was nothing.
    I tried another 1/2 marathon earlier this year, but decided to wear shoes because I wasn't familiar with the trails - within 4 miles I was in so much pain that I took my shoes off. I ran the last 7 miles barefoot in rocky mountains. The second I took them off and tried to run the pain went from an 8 to a 2.

Barefoot, barefoot, barefoot, especially for problems that involve bands and joints as they are most affected by the off-balancing of wearing shoes.

SeanC is offline Member
    I've had ITBS twice, both legs...1st bout came from running fast and on a track , second bout came from SI joint instability. The 2nd bout took awhile to recover from ( 6+ months) I just finished the Ragnar Relay D.C. (201.5 miles with a 6 man team) with no issues. Core and lowerbody strength training is what has helped me the most. I also agree with YumYamRunRam though. Barefoot will help tremendously. It fine tunes your running technique. If you decide on minimalist running though, take it slow. Work up your mileage.

One thing that really helped the acute symptoms of my ITBS wa the "Graston Technique". Google it. It looks like witch doctory but it was a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by YumYamRunRam View Post
    I was a cross country runner and 400/800 runner in high school and had itbs the entire time. Terrible, worst pain ever, back and gone, most annoying thing in the world.

Barefoot with vibrams and all barefoot solved it like it was nothing.
    I tried another 1/2 marathon earlier this year, but decided to wear shoes because I wasn't familiar with the trails - within 4 miles I was in so much pain that I took my shoes off. I ran the last 7 miles barefoot in rocky mountains. The second I took them off and tried to run the pain went from an 8 to a 2.

Barefoot, barefoot, barefoot, especially for problems that involve bands and joints as they are most affected by the off-balancing of wearing shoes.
    I had always thought going barefoot would make it worse, since doctors would say avoid rough surfaces. I will try this out and reply with results!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
    I've had ITBS twice, both legs...1st bout came from running fast and on a track , second bout came from SI joint instability. The 2nd bout took awhile to recover from ( 6+ months) I just finished the Ragnar Relay D.C. (201.5 miles with a 6 man team) with no issues. Core and lowerbody strength training is what has helped me the most. I also agree with YumYamRunRam though. Barefoot will help tremendously. It fine tunes your running technique. If you decide on minimalist running though, take it slow. Work up your mileage.

One thing that really helped the acute symptoms of my ITBS wa the "Graston Technique". Google it. It looks like witch doctory but it was a blessing.

I will definitely look up this technique. Much thanks for the feedback! (As a side note my name is also Sean and my last name starts with C... crazy!)

Quote Originally Posted by profdjj View Post
    I too had IT band issues during my first marathon (was not eating primal then) and yoga cured me. I know that's not the answer to your question regarding inflammation but I would strongly(!) encourage that you work in one to two hours of yoga a week.

Darlena
    Yoga does make it feel better temporarily. Perhaps if I keep up a yoga routine it will help in the long term. Thanks!

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Yoga is something that should be done routinely (like all exercise) or there's no point in doing it. I enjoy yoga for the strength, flexibility, and balance as well as the calming effect of the deep breathing. It's diametrically opposed to running so, for me, the combination of running and yoga is perfect. And, it will cure all running issues, I promise!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast