Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runners Injury ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome) Inflammation Increasing page 2

rockrunner Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I'm a barefoot runner for over 5 years now ...no IT band trouble during that time....Its muscle imbalance trouble that needs corrected....barefoot/midfoot running can cure this but that maybe a huge change in your running style you have now. Hip/glute muscle exercise workouts is what you need right now till you sort out your your running form issues. Get a foam roller if you do not have one now ...the black foam is firmer and will last longer. Roll your side upper leg at least once a day a day...bla bla bla..

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I agree foam roller! Learn a good ITB stretch, when you stretch make sure to hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat 3-5 times. Also focus on stretching your piriformis, hamstrings and gastroc/soleus (upper/lower calf)

I also think that barefoot running might help. I don't do it, but am seriously thinking of getting a pair of VFF or Runamocs. I have a lot of lateral knee pain from a torn LCL.

There is research out there somewhere that shows that running shoes put up to 25-30% more torque on the knee and additional torque on the hips compared to barefoot running.

rockrunner Guest
    To the Op , I've noticed a difference in my run recovery since I started transitioning to Primal, I get a more sore muscles than before. I do not know why for sure but think its due to less carbs, I had a really carb heavy diet before gradually switching over to Primal. I'm about 3/4 of the way switched over. I'm still running about 20 miles a week with some beginner strength workouts which is a light run mileage for me. I'm sticking it out for awhile to see where this takes me, hoping the soreness goes away within a few weeks when I'm fully primal diet soon.

lbt
    lbt is offline Member
    It is so difficult for me to wrap my head around this, especially for someone like myself who has feet problems like I do (flat feet....like a pancake, overpronation, bunions....removed though, orthotics). I recently went through knee PT for my knee caps being out of alignment (weak inner knee + tight IT band = pulling out of alignment) for 6 weeks and while I still have my good and bad days, I still have to be very careful with my knees and generally have to ice after an intense workout. I'm beginning to think it's tendonitis and I'm just going to to have to suck it up. Oh, and I forgot to mention how I hate getting my feet dirty too.

livestrongsean is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    I'm a barefoot runner for over 5 years now ...no IT band trouble during that time....Its muscle imbalance trouble that needs corrected....barefoot/midfoot running can cure this but that maybe a huge change in your running style you have now. Hip/glute muscle exercise workouts is what you need right now till you sort out your your running form issues. Get a foam roller if you do not have one now ...the black foam is firmer and will last longer. Roll your side upper leg at least once a day a day...bla bla bla..
    I think I will look into the barefoot running. Unfortunately, I live in Chicago and can only run barefoot 4-6 months out of the year... and cool weather is approaching quickly. Based on your feedback and others, I plan to incorporate daily foam rolling, yoga and more hip/glute strength conditioning. I also plan to continue primal eating for at least 3 months before I look into adjustments in diet.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by rockrunner View Post
    To the Op , I've noticed a difference in my run recovery since I started transitioning to Primal, I get a more sore muscles than before. I do not know why for sure but think its due to less carbs, I had a really carb heavy diet before gradually switching over to Primal. I'm about 3/4 of the way switched over. I'm still running about 20 miles a week with some beginner strength workouts which is a light run mileage for me. I'm sticking it out for awhile to see where this takes me, hoping the soreness goes away within a few weeks when I'm fully primal diet soon.
    Funny you mentioned you get sore easily since going primal. I, too, have noticed this. I also believe it is my body adjusting. But unlike you, I was not on a carb heavy diet. I did eat "bad" carbs throughout the week, but my diet was more 30%/30%/30% as opposed to a higher ratio of carbs. I will be curious to see if the soreness factor goes down over time.

Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    I agree foam roller! Learn a good ITB stretch, when you stretch make sure to hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat 3-5 times. Also focus on stretching your piriformis, hamstrings and gastroc/soleus (upper/lower calf)

I also think that barefoot running might help. I don't do it, but am seriously thinking of getting a pair of VFF or Runamocs. I have a lot of lateral knee pain from a torn LCL.

There is research out there somewhere that shows that running shoes put up to 25-30% more torque on the knee and additional torque on the hips compared to barefoot running.
    I am going to check out this running barefoot thing. I certainly do love running barefoot. I have only done it once this past summer on the beach... it was awesome. I do not yet have VFF-like shoes. I might have to try those.

Foam roll - I definately own one. My problem is that I don't use it daily. I only use it when I have pain. My girlfriend (a PT) keeps telling me that I need to do it daily no matter what. So... I just need to suck it up and do it daily, even though it is annoying. I guess that is my punishment for running a marathon through injury years ago. Ha!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    You should listen to the GF, she does have a degree in this stuff, ya know?

I have lateral knee pain too, which is from a partially torn LCL, so not regular ITBS. I have noticed that being primal does help with general inflammation, not more plantar fascia pain. But, it doesn't particularly help with actual injury, like my LCL, or your ITB. My dad has arthritis in his knees and shoulders. Eating paleo (he is more strict than PB) has helped with the pain that results from the inflammation, but still has pain in one shoulder, which has lead him to believe it might be a rotator cuff injury, which i tend to agree with. Eating this way helps inflammation, but it doesn't cure dysfunction.

npendleton is offline Junior Member
    I switched to VFFs about 3 weeks ago and my chronic knee inflammation AND pain are gone. I put on 'normal' shoes and the pain returns. Needless to say, I'm either barefoot or in my VFFs up to the point I MUST put on conventional shoes.

Take your time, but give them a shot. They have corrected my posture and gait as well.

npendleton is offline Junior Member
    livestrongsean: I'm in Chi, too. Go to Hanig's and they will help you choose a pair of VFF's (and awesome toe socks) that can keep you barefootin' through the winter. That's where my hub and I go for ours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12