Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the UK page

adam_devon is offline Junior Member

Cool Hello from the UK

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

I have just come across MDA and all things primal - so fortunate to have followed a link on another blog, and feel that this has opened up a whole new world that I was confident was out there but could never find.

I feel as if I have battled to lose weight for so long, and like to consider myself as reasonably intelligent so I never went for any of the cabbage-soup, single-food, lose 28lbs in 7 days kind of diets - and have instead been living off a diet of largely tuna (in spring water - it's healthier ) and whole-wheat pasta (healthier ) for the last 6 months; which I now can see wasn't rally that intelligent! During the time I have tried to stay clear of sugar, and processed junk but seem to fall off the wagon consistently about twice a week.

I have failed until now, having just finished the PB, to notice that I often have cravings for sugar and simple carbs following a dinner that is largely made up of carbs. In addition when I finish a night shift, and come home and sleep - when I wake up I am like a man possessed reaching for the nearest quick fix carbs - I now presume this was because of the insulin and how low my blood sugar has gone during the 18 hours without food.

I now look back and can think that on the occasions where I had a steak and some broccoli for dinner, that I would feel satisfied for hours afterwards, and would have energy - whereas I have got used to having regular crashes through the day on my current diet and have put this down to tiredness, rather than diet.

I have taken caffeine tablets for a couple of years to get me up in the morning and through the day, and thought this was 'normal'.

I'm looking forward to a complete change in lifestyle - I have just got back from the butchers and now have some great grass-fed beef, some lovely pork chops and 4 chicken breasts - most of which will go in the freezer.

The next step is to head to the supermarket - being a big curry fan, it's good to know that coconut milk is all good - but I understand I should get some coconut oil for cooking with as I tend to use EVOO.

Are there any other things that should go on my shopping list?

Do you other PB'ers find yourself shopping weekly, or every couple of days for freshness?

Are there any threads that I should read, that will help bring me up to speed, and prevent me asking questions that have been asked a hundred times before?

Here's to a healthier life,

Adam

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Hiya Adam (and I'm NOT jealous you're in Devon, REALLY I'm not...)

Welcome to the Cave! You're lucky to be in a part of the country where you can easily obtain pastured meat (it's difficult here being so close to London).

EVOO (and I can't stop giggling every time I see it written like that - think Shooting Stars...) is NOT good for cooking as (and you can search Mark's blog for the accurate reason) I believe it causes the MUFAs to turn into PUFAs and we don't want that. Olive oil's fine though.

You'll struggle to find coconut oil in shops over here, you'll have to order it online - but be warned, it's VERY expensive (at least it seems that way to me). I've seen it priced at as much as 15 for 500ml.

I'm afraid I'm with you on the caff tabs (though I've been taking an ECA stack for years to get me through the day and I can't quit it now!)

Someone posted (think it was Grizz) that keeping a small bag of raw (i.e. not roasted or salted) almonds or macadamias on hand helps with carb cravings (I can't attest to that as I managed to go cold turkey on the grains - I do love macs though).

There are many knowlegeable folks on here (CillaKat's good for supplementation advice, Batty for all round advice, Daemonized for advice about IFing (though I wouldn't recommend you try fasting until you've adjusted - I did and it's messed me up good and ruddy proper!)) - oh there are many, many folks who know their stuff!)

As for supplements, it's a good idea to take a good multivit (and by 'good' I DO NOT mean Boots or H&B - both are overpriced and understrength) vitamin D (CillaKat's your lassie for advice about that) and a probiotic.

I buy mine from iHerb (be warned you'll be stung for customs duty and VAT) but even so, let me illustrate what I mean: - I buy Dr.'s Best Vitamin D caps. I paid 15 for 360, 5,000UI caps from iHerb (18.60 with customs + VAT). I take 2 a day (will reduce to one after a month or so). The strongest you'll find in H&B (and probably Boots, too) are 1,000UI for around 7.50 - 100 tabs in a bottle. Now, it's recommended you take 1,000UI per 25lb bodyweight (or part thereof) so I should be taking 1 cap. This would cost me 37.5p per day if I was to buy from H&B; from iHerb it's around 5p a day (and that's the tax inclusive price!)

A good Omega 3 supp's considered essential, too. Again, it's FAR cheaper to buy from iHerb (even with tax) than it is from H&B. The ones I get are NOW Foods.

Think that's all for now.

Welcome again, and I hope you learn as much as I have here - they're friendly folk.

Sarah
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    *Cackles and rubs hands at arrival of another UK member*

Welcome to the forum, ninja. The first thing that came to my mind regarding the shopping was to get some lard, it's cheap and great for frying. Also Kerrygold is a good butter. Aaaaaaaaaand if you're ever buying supermarket steak for some reason, Morrisons is a truck-load better than Tesco. But farm shops are better, almost always. Oh and cauliflower rice is not a bad substitute for 'normal' grain rice, which being a curry fan you may miss a bit.

Other than that, good luck!

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    I understand I should get some coconut oil for cooking with as I tend to use EVOO.

I got mine on ebay to begin with

If you've got a good veggie health food shop in the area, they should have it.

plenty of eggs, they will become your new best friend. curry paste (thai is good) plenty of chicken thighs, stewing steak, offal if you can stand it, bacon, plenty of that gorgeous devonshire butter, spices and herbs, garlic, balsamic/red/cider vinegar, mackerel (tinned for an emergency), smoked salmon, some fresh Full fat greek yoghurt..

hope that helps!
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    *Cackles and rubs hands at arrival of another UK member*

Welcome to the forum, ninja. The first thing that came to my mind regarding the shopping was to get some lard, it's cheap and great for frying. Also Kerrygold is a good butter. Aaaaaaaaaand if you're ever buying supermarket steak for some reason, Morrisons is a truck-load better than Tesco. But farm shops are better, almost always. Oh and cauliflower rice is not a bad substitute for 'normal' grain rice, which being a curry fan you may miss a bit.

Other than that, good luck!

Wish GX still had a farmers' market. It was cancelled due to lack of interest (well it was on Wednesday mornings!)
    La tristesse durera toujours...

adam_devon is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all for the welcome.

SpicesofIndia appears to have some coconut oil, is that the stuff?

I currently have some chicken, being cooked with Kerrygold butter - smelling good.

I do feel lucky to have so many local farmers markets, farm shops, good butchers etc.

Queen Sheba - I have come across your pancake recipe, and that looks lovely!! I can't seem to find almond flour anywhere - any tips?

Hoping to stock up cupboards tomorrow!

I will have to research supplementation, because I don't even take a multi-vit at the moment!

Planning a guilt free bacon and cheese omelette tomorrow for breakfast.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Good choices, I just had a bacon and cheese omelette today - waaiiiit a minute!
    Also Sheba's pancakes are awesome. As is her 'mostly Primal' very dark chocolate mousse... but that's an occasional treat. *cough*

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    Good choices, I just had a bacon and cheese omelette today - waaiiiit a minute!
    Also Sheba's pancakes are awesome. As is her 'mostly Primal' very dark chocolate mousse... but that's an occasional treat. *cough*
    i just had one too!! but with sauteed mushrooms and bacon!

you will find 100g bags of almond flour in ANY supermarket, in the food isle where the chocolate chips for cooking are. usually about 1 and the 100g will make about 5-6 small pancakes!

:- )
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

FergalJennings is offline Senior Member
    holland and barrett sell coconut oil =D!
    7 a tub i think it is
    i got some months ago and its no were near done!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Woo, another Brit Grok! Are we ready to wage war on the American Tribe yet? *giggles* Like Violet, I'm jealous of you living in Devon too. Gorgeous place, used to holiday there as a child.

I find coconut oil quite easy to find here, but I'm in Northern Ireland. Most health food stores sell it, as well as Holland and Barrett like Fergal suggested. Nearly every Indian store sells it too, but it's usually the refined sort and you'll want to stay away from that. (Unless you use it as a hair conditioner, like I do).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast