Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from the UK page 2

Dender is offline Junior Member
    Hi Adam! Good to see another UKer joining. I tend to shop weekly, with meat going straight in the freezer, and topping up with fresh veg when necessary. Like many PBers I'm finding I can't live without good butter, and am getting through an enormous amount of eggs and bacon; chicken/salmon/occasional steak are also great and I usually bulk meals out with loads of broccoli or spinach.

There''s loads of great suggestions here and a mass of information and alternatives.

Good luck!

Webby is offline Member
    Just wanted to say hi! I'm a bit further West than you, down in Cornwall.

I tend to do a once a week shop at my local stores. And pop into a supermarket maybe once a fortnight to stock up on other bits and bobs. Keeps me out of the shops and on budget. All gotta make compromises I guess. I just make sure the stuff that doesn't keep well gets eaten first and obviously you can put all your meat in the freezer. I menu-plan on Wednesdays and go shopping on Thursdays- just like my mum... and my nan! My shopping list is pretty basic these days, but very yummy! Fresh fruit, veggies and herbs, meat, eggs, nuts and variety of animal fats to cook with.

I think menu-planning is generally an excellent idea because it means you can make sure you get the full breadth of foods in your diet- oh and don't have a load of waste at the end of the week. I tend to waste more if I'm constantly in the shops and something will always get ignored and left in the fridge.

I have a chaotic creative streak and by being organised it means I can divert my energy into more interesting things than the stress of "what shall I eat for dinner tonight?" Oh, and definitely handy if you're starting out and you find the carb-cravings are getting to you one way or another- not good standing in the middle of a supermarket at 8pm after a long stressful day.

Are you doing this on your own? Bulk cooking might be very handy- make your own freezer meals.

adam_devon is offline Junior Member
    More welcome messages - thank you all!

I'm thinking of starting a journal - it seems the more you read, the more questions you have, so it would be great to have somewhere I can document this lifestyle change.

Fergal, thanks for the recommendation of H&B - I used to go in there a few years back to get chocolate coated nuts, and rationalised this as being positive because they're a "health-food store".

I keep seeing duck fat and goose fat at Sainsbury's - is this any good? And avocado oil as well? Or is coconut oil the gold standard?

Webby, good to hear from a local. I will soon be starting work in Liskeard, and really should start surfing again soon at Polzeath. I'm doing the PB alone, but am confident MrsAdam will join me if she can see benefits to my health and weight. We have agreed that we will cook a primal evening meal, and sort out our breakfast and lunch separately for the time being. MrsAdam is gluten intolerant, and does not eat pasta - so there isn't a lot that she would be missing - except the sweets that she seems to constantly be rationalising eating, or regretting having consumed. The main difficulty for MrsAdam is that she isn't a big fan of vegetables - I think in part because she is so used to a carb-loaded diet. I tend to eat a lot of broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, carrots, peppers, tomatoes and berries; whilst MrsAdam is much keener on her broad beans, peas, runner beans, tomatoes and carrots.

I have never really thought of, or attempted batch cooking and freezing meals, but that would really make a lot of sense and I presume would work out cheaper too? What kind of meals do you cook and freeze?

Adam

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_devon View Post
    I'm thinking of starting a journal - it seems the more you read, the more questions you have, so it would be great to have somewhere I can document this lifestyle change.

great - you will benefit from it a lot, and instead of asking loads of questions, you can just ask to have your journal reviewed....it's easier to pinpoint your progression

Fergal, thanks for the recommendation of H&B - I used to go in there a few years back to get chocolate coated nuts, and rationalised this as being positive because they're a "health-food store".

I would check it is the proper foodstuff and not for your hair or whatever...H&B don't have the best rep round here. Try ebay...HONEST!

I keep seeing duck fat and goose fat at Sainsbury's - is this any good? And avocado oil as well? Or is coconut oil the gold standard?

duck/goose fat AAA++ for effort - tastes frikking awesome. yummeee! Avocadoi hear good too, not really for cooking, more for salads. Stock up on those fats!

I have never really thought of, or attempted batch cooking and freezing meals, but that would really make a lot of sense and I presume would work out cheaper too? What kind of meals do you cook and freeze?

my stew was pretty amazing. My soup was not. I have venison cubes (3 in Asda) and i'm going to make a red wine hunters pot.. yumm!!!
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Webby is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Re: batch-cooking. So many recipes seem to be for four people that you might as well just freeze one-half (or have it for leftovers), and save faffing with random half-onions etc! It probably is cheaper- but the ease is what I like (and less washing up!)- especially as we are heading into the Autumn/Winter and my energy levels are going to take a severe dip, PB or no-PB.

I'm pretty old-school British cooking (without the pie toppings obv!), so most of my stuff for the freezer is:
    casseroles/stews
    curry
    fish pie- that's for the kids as I don't do dairy anymore ;(
    basic mince- base for bolognaises, shepherds pies etc
    sausage casserole.
    Chicken broth/stock. I've not had too much success either with freezing soup- but you can at least make the stock ahead.

Loads of different variations. Just enough to off-set those days when tea-time is gonna be rushed or whatever.

I used to make big batches of Cornish Pasties (pastry made with lard) but those days are behind me now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12