Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early morning leg cramps page

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member

Early morning leg cramps

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ever since I have been on a primal diet I have been getting cramps in my calf normally around an hour before I would wake up (so early morning). Would this indicate I'm deficient in some nutrient or mineral? I can't imagine it is the lack of grains but maybe milk as I have dropped all dairy (not that I had much before - mainly just with my porridge in the morning).

Thanks

kitana is offline Senior Member
    I used to have terrible leg cramps - they would literally make jumpt out of bed. Then after a physical in which she checked my vit D and found it to be extremely low - my doc put me on prescription-strength vit D supplements. And I was thrilled that it seemed to really help my leg cramps. Eventually they pretty much stopped, and I didn't have another one til I went off the prescription-strength vit D and started taking the over-the-counter strength supplements (went from 50 mg a week to 1 mg a day). I bumped the levels up signifigantly and haven't had one in nearly a year. There may be other nutritional factors as well, but that one changed seemed to make a big difference for me.

Good luck!

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitana View Post
    I used to have terrible leg cramps - they would literally make jumpt out of bed. Then after a physical in which she checked my vit D and found it to be extremely low - my doc put me on prescription-strength vit D supplements. And I was thrilled that it seemed to really help my leg cramps. Eventually they pretty much stopped, and I didn't have another one til I went off the prescription-strength vit D and started taking the over-the-counter strength supplements (went from 50 mg a week to 1 mg a day). I bumped the levels up signifigantly and haven't had one in nearly a year. There may be other nutritional factors as well, but that one changed seemed to make a big difference for me.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your reply. Yes they make me jump out of bed too! I wouldn't be at all surprised if my vit d levels were low; in fact I would be surprised if they weren't low! I will look into Vit D. How does one check their Vit D levels? I had a standard blood test the other day would they show up there?

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I had this issue too and it was suggested that I start taking magnesium... I did and my cramps are gone... although that also closely parrellels the release of the Primal Essentials (fish oil, pro-bio, vit d) so it could be the Vit D too... ... ...?..

just my .02$

I had a standard blood test the other day would they show up there?
    This wasn't part of the standard set of tests my doc orders, but prior to my physical she had attended a conference where she came away convinced that she should make it standard. I eat lots of dark greens, consume plenty of dairy, spend plenty of time outdoors, and figured I'd be ok. However she insisted based on the overwhelming number of patients she had already tested that were low. She said since she had started requesting it - she found over 70% of her patients had low vit D, and that eating healthy and having an active outdoor lifestyle is no guarantee of adequate vit D (although it helps). And wouldn't you know it - she was right, my levels were seriously low.

At any rate - it wasn't standard. She ordered it in addition to the normal tests.

I've also read enough recommendations on this board for magnesium, that I intend to add it to my regular routine.

chasbuddy is offline Senior Member
    Cramps also happen becasue of a potassium shortage. Try eating bananas....that always helped me when I had cramps.
    They used to call me No Neck, but now I have one.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Taking magnesium got rid of my nighttime leg cramps.

I never really looked into how much I was getting before, so I can't say for sure that I was deficient, but I haven't had a single cramp since I started taking it. It's a magnesium citrate supplement, 400mg I think (I'm at work and it's at home), and I take it before bed because I've read that magnesium can help you sleep.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

jturk is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium, indeed. I too use Mg citrate 400mg.

This really needs to be a sticky topic

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Reading the recommendation of magnesium and potassium from others, as well as my own experience with vit D, got me curious as to how these things interact to affect muscle cramps.

This was a good explanation of how these things work together that might give you some supplement direction I know I was considering adding magnesium and now I will definitely be adding it, as well as upping my calcium. Even though I don't really have cramps anymore, the article makes the point that your body will rob these things from your bones to keep adequate levels, and I want to make sure that isn't occuring.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast