Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood results page

invino77 is offline Senior Member

Blood results

Primal Fuel
    Hello - I was waiting for blood results and here they are, I have been primal for about 6 months. i do cheat on weekends and that means pizza and wine. Thinking of dropping those to see if it make a difference.

Total cholesterol - 218
    HDL - 83
    LDL - 112
    Triglycerides - 115

Fasting glucose - 85
    Vit. D - 35

hmmmmm....so, i know the HDl is nice and high where we like it. but my triglycerides seem a little high and worry me that I have alot of the small ldl. So, anyway, there it is. my doc was pretty happy with it and very happy with the hdl number. I would like to try to do my ratio's - could someone show me how to do that?

I also had an ESR and CRP done, the ESR was low, but the CRP was slightly elevated , just above normal. he said this isa general number, but again, something higher than it should be.

Thanks.....continuing with primal, and maybe gettin a bit more serious about it now.

So, thanks to the online calculator I just did my ratio's -

Total / HDL 2.63 Ideal is 5 or below.
    Triglycerides / HDL 1.39 Ideal is 2 or below.
    Friedewald LDL/ HDL 1.57 Ideal is 4.3 or below.
    Iranian LDL / HDL 1.35 Ideal is 4.3 or below.

So, I guess this is a good thing? I don;t like my triglyceride number, it coul dbe lower. i eat fruit every day. and wine...could these be the culprits?

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Hi Invino,

Most important to ditch grains 100% (pizza has got to go ) no bread,rice,pasta etc.Eat lots of good,saturated fat,cook using coconut oil and don't eat too much of high glycaemic fruits.If you haven't read the Primal Blueprint yet,do so.Mark will explain in great detail how to get your numbers good whilst losing weight and getting lean,fit and healthyYour hdl is amazing but you need to get those trigs down,good luck.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Your TRG's aren't "high." but cutting the pizza will drop them. If you want to find out the particle makeup ask your doctor. There are a few tests you can take - I got a VAP test and it told me more than I needed.

I'd be more worried about the Vitamin D level! Mine was a 31 - which is one point away from having a vitamin D deficiency. Look into Vitamin D supplementation or safe ways to get sun exposure everyday without sunscreen. In general, I've read that 1,000 units (IU) per 25Lbs of body weight is what most people need, but you have to re-test to be sure. It varies for everyone.

There's a long post on here about Vitamin D,
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...hlight=Vitamin

And cillakat's post on Vitamin D, which I've found pretty useful:
    https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dztmcwq_204jqp4wpc3

Tons of Vitamin D blog entries, and more on recommended dosage, and the benefits of Vitamin D
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/se...el/vitamin%20D
    Last edited by barryman9000; 09-28-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added links

Thanks. Yes, I know the trigs are in the normal range, but I still would like them under 100. I am going to cut out fruit and the occasional cheats of pasta, pizza, bread and rice - i can say this was happening about 1 time a week...YIKES! I was considering it my 20%. now my 20 is going to be red wine and dairy. it is going ot be hard to ditch the fruit and yogurt in the morning - i really love it. Maybe I will grow to like the eggs...or make something else. What about dark chocolate? i would love any advice for lowering the triglycerides.

I am under the care of a naturopath so I will see what she says about the Vitamin D - I know 35 aint great. And we are heading into winter - I live in italy.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't cut fruit completely. The benefits of one serving of berries per day probably outweigh dropping your TRGs by 16 points. I bet you'll see a big improvement by dropping the weekly pizza.

Here's a great recipe for pizza meatloafs. I've made them, and they're really, really good! Even my non-primal friends & family like them.
    http://www.health-bent.com/proteins/mini-pizza-meatloaf

I'd seriously worry about the Vitamin D level first. From what I've read, getting your D level up will have a big positive affect on lipid panel results and lower TRGs.
    Vitamin D can also reduce triglycerides, though the effect is relatively small, usually no more than 20 mg/dl or so. Likewise, the effect on LDL is minor, with a modest reduction in the small type of LDL.
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...olesterol.html

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by invino77 View Post
    I am under the care of a naturopath so I will see what she says about the Vitamin D - I know 35 aint great. And we are heading into winter - I live in italy.
    Till november you can still get enough UVB for that, but you need almost full body exposure and a sunny day to get enough in a reasonable timeframe (~15 minutes instead of hours).

I just checked the test, I had this done in Ital y- and the range of normal was from 10 -40 ng/ml. Wierd? Well, nonetheless, I need to get my D up. Now the task of finding a suitable supplement - that is HARD in provincial italy.

I want to do a week or so no fruit, just to kick start myself - also no dairy...then I will let those be my 20%, instead of pizza!

How about the cholesterol panel - is it a good thing or do I need to tweak somet ihngs - other than the trig?
    Last edited by invino77; 09-28-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Hello - so my naturopath is in agreement that my D is too low. So, looks like i iwll be working ont hat. I jsut was curious if anyone here had any advice for the lipid panel? I know the ratios are good because my HDL is so high, but I am slightly higher than "optimal" in the LDL and triglycerides and total cholesterol - should I be concerned about that?

I do want to reduce my trigs and cut weight a bit. I am trying to eliminate fruit and dairy and finidng it damn near impossible. I know it is mental, but i guess I need to come up with some alternatives.

Any suggestions? Thanks. Sara

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I personally wouldn't worry about raw numbers at all but rather ratios. Here are the rest of the ratios:

Total/HDL ___ (optimal is ≤3...average is 4.5)
    HDL/Total ___ (optimal ≥ .24, under .24 is low, less than .1 is high risk)
    Trig/HDL ___ (optimal is ≤2)
    LDL/HDL ___ (optimal is ≤ 4.3)
    HDL/LDL .___ (optimal is ≥ .4)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast