Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This made me angry page

Bern is offline Member

This made me angry

Shop Now
    http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/art...rsus-margarine

I watched this story on this on Today Tonight (Aussie trashy news show) last night and it made me so angry! I was shouting at the telly which is most unlike me. Telling our kids/society to eat less fat/avoid saturated fat. The Heart Foundation pitching in to praise margarine. I wish conventional wisdom was more 'wise'!!

Ironically, the next story was on sunscreen, warning that some brands contain nano particles which have been proven to cause cancer. Hmmm... a human-made synthetic substance taking away from what is natural is not good for us...

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    At least they're good enough to put a disclaimer at the end...

The information on yahoo7.com.au/todaytonight is made available for information purposes only, and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Also, the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information is not guaranteed. Yahoo!7 and The Seven Network do not accept any liability for any injury, loss or damage incurred by use of or reliance on the information.

Well at least they got that right! <sigh>
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Grizz is offline Banned
    Healthy people do not generate revenue for doctors, hospitals & drug companies.

THAT IS WHY the media & government (controlled by business) is constantly promoting unhealthy foods & products.
    Keep those hospital beds filled, keep those doctor waiting rooms filled, keep that drug income flowing.

NOW YOU KNOW. Just keep yourself healthy and SCREW THEM !

Grizz

Bern is offline Member
    I'm a nurse and I definitely want a healthy population!! I work in an emergency department with a 20 bed capacity, often cramming in 40 patients at a time due to all the hospital beds being full, and many people unable to get into their normal GP's because their appointments are booked up for the next 4 weeks. This makes me want to work in health promotion (prevention not cure), however I could not preach what the Government deems to be a healthy diet.

Most doctors I know are reasonable people who are not greedy and would prefer a reduction in their workload. I just find this explanation of 'doctors wanting more business' hard to fathom...

Grizz is offline Banned
    Bern,

Then please tell us why DOCTORS of all people are still promoting the High Carb Low Fat diet, or are they just plain STUPID. No they are not stupid, they are promoting their bottom line. Healthy patients do not make any money. It is ALL about money, honey.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it must be a duck. IMO, the evidence is OBVIOUS to anyone who looks.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 09-28-2010 at 06:05 AM.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    A lot of doctors are 'believe what you are told' types. You have to be intelligent to a degree to be a doctor, no doubt there, but you don't have to be inquisitive and critical of the received 'truth'. So lots of them are neither stupid nor greedy - they think they're helping people out, because they're just passing on what they've been told. Which is even more sad really.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Having lived in a few different beach towns, the number of people I know who ended up getting (treatable) carcinomas or similar from to much sun exposure is probably in the dozens. The number of people I know who get sick from sunscreen is, TMK, 0.

I like Tom's POV:
    http://reversemagazine.blogspot.com/...-some-sun.html

EDIT: Actually, maybe melanoma is the word I was looking for. Either way, too much sun and too many sunburns.
    Last edited by blank_faceplate; 09-28-2010 at 07:44 AM.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think medical school puts young, intelligent people through a brutal boot camp that trains them to tow the line. Even once they've graduated, questioning CW will have a doctor's colleagues attack from all sides. Seen it happen more than once in the birth world.

I don't think most doctors are motivated to keep patients sick in order to make more money...I believe the vast majority of humans in any profession are better than that! I think they just fail to see that is what they are doing, because of their training.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    People (even the majority of people) can be wrong without there being some vast, malevolent conspiracy of evil.

Now don't get me wrong, I know corporations want to save their bottom line and if they're marketing cereals, that's what they're going to do. Of course they want us all to think it's the healthiest thing ever.

In the long run, good health science seems to prevail despite the strongest marketing and pressure, however -- no doctors are out there claiming cigarettes are healthy anymore, now are they?

The trouble is, we're still stuck here in the middle run, not the long run.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I would like to take a moment to point out that Bern lives in Australia, and Grizz in the U.S. so what drives the medical machine in each country may very well be quite different.
    Last edited by NutMeg; 09-28-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast