Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Late. page

birdie is offline Member

Eating Late.

Shop Now
    I hate this rule. But, I TRY not to eat late because of all the things I've heard over the years.
    Is it bunk?
    Can I eat late?
    If not can you please explain the whys of it so at least it makes sense, please?
    Thanks in advance.
    Birdie
    *chirp*

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Total garbage. Your body is a calorie inferno, if you are hungry eat. It doesn't matter when you take in your calories, your body will burn them. You even burn calories when you sleep.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    It's BS. Eat if you're hungry, don't if you're not.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

lbt
    lbt is offline Member
    I don't think it's so much as to when you eat, as it is to what you eat. And with this diet, I think you'll be fine. Having worked 2 jobs before, I understand where you are. If you're hungry, I think you should eat.

birdie is offline Member
    Awesome! You guys rock.
    Still open to contrary opinions, but gonna get a snack first.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Bullshit. It's another nutritional internet myth. A Long time ago, I have heard that your body digest food very slowing after 8:00PM, so it best to eat before that time. WTF? Total bullshit! LOL!

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Now, if someone snacks a LOT and then stops snacking they reduce their calories and lose weight. So for some people, stopping eating after 8 pm 'helps' them lose weight, not because of any other reason then they reduce how much they are eating overall. Usually this works for people who mindlessly watch TV and eat an entire bag of chips or something.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I try to stop eating by 6pm and don't eat until the next day after noon so as to get a daily mini-fast. But if you aren't into intermittent fasting or would rather extent the fast into the morning then you should eat at night if you feel like eating at night. Just don't eat anything sugary and you will be good. CW likely says that because everything they eat is massively carby and contains sugar, wheat exorphins and other nasty stuff.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    It's not BS at all. The body has a circadian rhythm, with the various hormones and enzymes speaking to each other according to a certain schedule. You ignore this and they don't hear the messages properly.

Read "Mastering Leptin" by Byron Richards, then do what you please and make up your own mind. But melatonin and leptin and ghrelin and agouti and insulin and growth hormone aren't chaotic in their actions. They want to do a trade-off depending on the time of day.

Just for a single example, there's insulin. You start eating, and the pancreas releases a certain amount of insulin, which is determined mostly by how big the previous meal was. And then awhile later, it samples the blood sugar again, and decides how much more to release. When all goes well, this is an elegant system which works to deal with just what you ate, to get the right amount into your cells, and store the rest.

Now, what people don't realize is that the first dose of insulin comes from granules stored up for the purpose. And if you snack a couple of hours after eating, the pancreas has not had time to make these granules, so it has to stop its quiet preparation for the next meal (which should be four or five hours later) and churn out insulin as if it were the second type. And it tends to overdo. (It gets grumpy, one might say, because you've given it work during what should be its restoration period.)

We're already screwing with the natural program by using artificial light year round, often late at night. For most of us, this gives us an eternal summer, when we should be fattening for the dark cold winter ... only instead we just go on fattening.

But sure, snack whenever you like ... you're grown ups, aren't you? That means that whenever you hear something you find inconvenient, you are allowed to say it's a pile of BS. <snide grin>

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Interesting question. I wondered if the nightime eating thing was tied into the thoery that our body 'repairs' itself when we are sleeping. I wonder if that is a myth too.

If that is true (that our bodies repair whilst sleeping) then I thought there could be a shred of truth to an argument that it is better for your body to repair whilst sleeping, rather than also focussing on digestion as well. But, where does that leave you anyway - I can't see a connection to weight gain, which is the theory usually advanced. Besides, I imagine at a cellular levels our bodies do what they have to do, regardless of whether its sleep time or not. Then again, our hormones do fluctuate as we sleep. Is the 'repair whilst you sleep' myth a myth?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast